Potential Energy of a Conservative Force

In summary: It is simply the negative of the work done by a conservative force. For example, when you lift the mass up, you are doing positive work against gravity, but the change in PE is negative (because the mass is moving in the opposite direction of the force). So the total work done by you (a non-conservative force) is equal to the change in PE (negative of the work done by conservative forces) plus the change in KE (which is zero in this case).
Jacobpm64

Homework Statement

A mass [tex]m[/tex] hangs on a vertical spring of spring constant [tex]k[/tex].
(a) How far will this hanging mass have stretched the spring from its relaxed length?
(b) If you now push up on the mass and lift it until the spring reaches its relaxed length, how much work will you have done against gravity? Against the spring?

Homework Equations

I'll include them in my attempt at a solution.

The Attempt at a Solution

(a)
[tex] F = -kx [/tex] <--- force of a spring
[tex] U(x) = -W [/tex]
[tex] U(x) = -\int_0^{x} -kx' dx'[/tex]
[tex] U(x) = k (\frac{1}{2}x'^2)_0^{x}[/tex]
[tex] U(x) = \frac{1}{2} kx^2[/tex] <--- potential energy of spring

The energy in the relaxed state is:
[tex]E_1 = \frac{1}{2}mv_1^{2} + \frac{1}{2}kx_1^{2} = \frac{1}{2}mv_1^{2} + 0 [/tex]

The energy in the stretched state is:
[tex]E_2 = \frac{1}{2}mv_2^{2} + \frac{1}{2}kx_2^{2} = 0 + \frac{1}{2}k(-x)^2[/tex]

The energy conserves, so [tex] E_1 = E_2 [/tex]:
[tex]\frac{1}{2}mv_1^{2} = \frac{1}{2}kx^2 [/tex]
[tex] x = \sqrt{\frac{mv_1^{2}}{k}}[/tex] <--- How far the spring stretches

(b)
[tex]U(0) - U(x) = -W [/tex]
[tex]-\frac{1}{2}kx^2 = -W [/tex]
[tex] W_{you} = \frac{1}{2}kx^2[/tex]
[tex] W_{grav} = -mg(-x) = mgx[/tex]

The work you do against gravity is [tex] W_{you} - W_{grav} [/tex]:
[tex] W = \frac{1}{2}kx^2 - mgx[/tex]
[tex] W = x ( \frac{1}{2}kx - mg) [/tex] <--- work you do against gravity

The work the spring does is:
[tex] W_{spring} = -\frac{1}{2}kx^2 [/tex]
[tex] W_{you} = \frac{1}{2}kx^2[/tex]

The work you do against the spring is [tex] W_{you} - W_{spring} [/tex] :
[tex]W = \frac{1}{2}kx^2 + \frac{1}{2}kx^2 [/tex]
[tex]W= kx^2 [/tex] <--- work you do against the spring

I have no idea if this is correct, as the answer is not in the back of the book.. so I can't check myself on this particular problem. Please critique my work. I don't know if all of the equations make sense, as I may have been just writing stuff down and trying to force things to work. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
In part a, the mass is hanging from the spring...at rest. To calculate the spring displacement, you need only use Hooke's Law. There is no velocity associated with the system at rest.
For part b, you slowly push up the mass back to the relaxed length of the spring. The work you do, which is work done by a non conservative force, is the change in the PE of the spring (which is negative) plus the change in the PE of the mass (positive)(conservation of energy theorem where there is no change in KE).

so my work was a bunch of rubbish haha!

Let me see if i can fix it.

so would the force be mg, so.

[tex] F = -kx [/tex]
[tex] mg = -kx [/tex]
[tex] x = \frac{-mg}{k} [/tex] <--- is that the spring displacement?

And part two is still not very clear to me.

Jacobpm64 said:
so my work was a bunch of rubbish haha!

Let me see if i can fix it.

so would the force be mg, so.

[tex] F = -kx [/tex]
[tex] mg = -kx [/tex]
[tex] x = \frac{-mg}{k} [/tex] <--- is that the spring displacement?

And part two is still not very clear to me.
Part 'a' is correct if you consider down as the negative direction, so that's OK.
Part 2 does tend to get confusing, in some respects because you have work being done by a non conservative force (you)against 2 conservative forces (gravity and the spring forces). And the plus and minus signs will try to get the best of you. Just remember the conservation of energy theorem
[tex] W_{nc} = \Delta{PE_{spring}} + \Delta{PE_{gravity}} + \Delta{KE}[/tex]
and note that there is no KE change, and [tex]W_{nc}[/tex] is the work done by you.

and change in potential energy just equals negative work.

Jacobpm64 said:
and change in potential energy just equals negative work.
No, change in PE equals negative work done by conservative forces.

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or configuration relative to other objects. It is a form of stored energy that has the potential to do work.

2. What is a conservative force?

A conservative force is a type of force that does not depend on the path taken by an object, but only on its initial and final positions. Examples of conservative forces include gravity and electrostatic forces.

3. How is potential energy related to conservative forces?

Potential energy is closely related to conservative forces as it is the energy that is associated with the position of an object relative to a conservative force. As an object moves in a conservative force field, its potential energy changes, and this change is equal to the work done by the force.

4. What is the formula for calculating potential energy of a conservative force?

The formula for calculating potential energy of a conservative force is:
PE = -W = -∫F · ds, where PE is the potential energy, W is the work done by the force, F is the conservative force, and ds is the displacement vector.

5. Can potential energy of a conservative force be negative?

Yes, potential energy of a conservative force can be negative. This occurs when the object is in a position where its potential energy is lower than its reference position, which is usually chosen to be at zero potential energy. In such cases, the potential energy is considered to be negative.