1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential inside a hollow sphere

1. Sep 30, 2006 #1
    I have a problem finding the potential inside a hollow sphere. The problem is formulated as:
    "Determine the electric potential inside a hollow sphere of radius a given that the potential on its surface is f(theta)"
    I have found a function V(r,theta) through separation of variables and all I have left is to apply the boundary conditions. One is given, but I guess I need another one when my function has two unknown constants. How do I find that second boundary condition?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2006 #2

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your radial solution will be of the form

[tex] f(r) = Ar^n + B/r^{n+1} [/tex]

So, what happens when r goes to 0? What does that tell you about B?

You'll need only one boundary condition for [itex] V(r,\theta) [/itex] as a result. (Although you'll have infinite constants. Use the orthogonality property of Legendre polynomials to calculate them)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2006
  4. Sep 30, 2006 #3
    So this forces B to equal zero, right? Then my potential function looks like V(r,theta) = A_n r^n P-n(cos(theta)) and I should somehow use that the integral over P_m* P_n equals zero if m is different from n, ok? I just don't know how..?
    (Damn, it would be easier if I knew how to use LaTeX) ;)

5. Sep 30, 2006 #4

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah

You've almost got it. Your potential function will be
    [tex] V(r,\theta)= \sum_{n=0}^\infty A_n r^n P_n(\cos \theta) [/tex]

and so at r=R

[tex] f(\theta)= \sum_{n=0}^\infty A_n R^n P_n(\cos \theta) [/tex]

(Check out this LaTeX tutorial, or click the image to see the code)

Since the legendre polynomials are orthogonal, multiply both sides of the above equation by [tex] P_m (\cos \theta) \sin \theta [/tex] (this is important. Do you see why?) and integrate (can you tell me the limits?). So, can you take it from here?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2006
  6. Sep 30, 2006 #5
    I understand why I should multiply both sides with P_m(cos theta) but not why to include sin theta. The limits should be from 0 to pi, right?

7. Sep 30, 2006 #6
    I got it now. sin(theta) is for the substitution cos(theta) = x to work out. Then I get an expression for A_m with an integral over P_m(cos theta)f(theta)sin(theta)d(theta). But then what?

8. Sep 30, 2006 #7

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. Now, what about the other side of the equation? Remember that your aim is to get the value of [itex]A_n[/itex].

If you found that as an integral, then you're done! You know the solution to the potential at any point in the sphere.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2006
  9. Oct 1, 2006 #8
    But the correct answer should be
    [tex]V(r,\theta) = -\frac{u_0}{3} + \frac{4u_0}{3}(\frac{r}{R})^2P_2(\cos \theta)[/tex].

The given potential at R is
    [tex]V(R,\theta) = u_o \cos(2\theta)[/tex].

(I'm using LaTeX!)

10. Oct 1, 2006 #9

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Since you know [itex]f(\theta)[/itex], evaluate the integral using the orthogonal property!

Where exactly are you stuck at? Can you post that here?

11. Oct 1, 2006 #10
    I substituted [tex]\cos \theta = x[/tex] and used the orthogonal property. Then I re-substituted to get the [tex]\theta[/tex]-dependence again and now my expression looks like

[tex]A_m = -\frac{1+2m}{2} a^\textit{-m} \int_{0}^{\pi} P_m(\cos \theta) u_0 cos(2\theta) sin \theta d\theta[/tex]

I dunno where to go from here.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2006
  12. Oct 1, 2006 #11

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

To simplify the integral on the RHS, as I've said before, you're going to need the orthogonal property . Have you tried writing [itex]\cos(2\theta) [/itex] in terms of [itex]P_2(\cos \theta) [/itex]? (Also, [itex]1=P_0(\cos \theta)[/itex])

13. Oct 1, 2006 #12
    Hey, I solved it! Thanks alot! This has really helped me in my understanding of Legendre polynomials.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?