Potential of a Charged Conducting Sphere

In summary, the formula for the potential of a charged sphere is V=Q/4pi*epsilon naught*r and the surface charge density can be expressed as σ=Q/4πr^2. By setting V0 equal to the potential equation and solving for Q, we can substitute it into the surface charge density equation to get σ=V0*ε0/r.
Estefania_8

Homework Statement

A conducting sphere with radius R is charged to voltage V0 (relative to a point an infinite distance from the sphere where the potential is zero). What is the surface charge density σ? Express your answer in terms of the given quantities and ϵ0.

Homework Equations

Electric field on a sphere, E=(1/4πϵ0)*(Q/r^2)
Surface charge density: σ=Q/A, where Q is the charge and A is the area of the surface.
A for a sphere: A=4πr^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to find σ and I have Q in two of the equations I replaced A with the area of a sphere, so I get
σ=Q/4πr^2
Then I solved for Q from this, so I have Q=σ4πr^2, now I substitute this into the first equation and solve for σ, so now I have, E=(1/4πϵ0r^2)*(σ4πr^2/r^2), this gives me E*ϵ0, but this is not the correct answers. Does E=V0?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by 0 here? Are you referring to the electric permittivity of free space, ##ε_0## ?

Hi Estefania, welcome to PF!
Estefania_8 said:

Homework Statement

A conducting sphere with radius R is charged to voltage V0 (relative to a point an infinite distance from the sphere where the potential is zero). What is the surface charge density σ? Express your answer in terms of the given quantities and ϵ0.

Homework Equations

Electric field on a sphere, E=(1/4πϵ0)*(Q/r^2)
Surface charge density: σ=Q/A, where Q is the charge and A is the area of the surface.
A for a sphere: A=4πr^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to find σ and I have Q in two of the equations I replaced A with the area of a sphere, so I get
σ=Q/4πr^2
Then I solved for Q from this, so I have Q=σ4πr^2, now I substitute this into the first equation and solve for σ, so now I have, E=(1/4πϵ0r^2)*(σ4πr^2/r^2), this gives me E*ϵ0, but this is not the correct answers. Does E=V0?

You need to give σ in terms of V0 , the potential of the sphere. What is the formula for the potential of a charged sphere ?

PWiz said:
What do you mean by 0 here? Are you referring to the electric permittivity of free space, ##ε_0## ?

Yes, that's what I meant.

ehild said:
Hi Estefania, welcome to PF!

You need to give σ in terms of V0 , the potential of the sphere. What is the formula for the potential of a charged sphere ?
The potential is given by V=Q/4pi*epsilon naught*r, so I would use this equation and set V0 equal to this?

Estefania_8 said:
The potential is given by V=Q/4pi*epsilon naught*r, so I would use this equation and set V0 equal to this?
Yes, ##V_0=\frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon_0 r}## . (Use parentheses!)
Find Q from this.

Likes Estefania_8
Estefania_8 said:
Yes, that's what I meant.
Then you have all the variables you'll need. Follow ehild's procedure and eliminate ##Q## from the equations. This should be easy as you've already stated yourself that ##σ=\frac Q{4πr^2}##.

Likes Estefania_8
ehild said:
Find Q from this.
ehild said:
Find Q from this.

OK, so now I have V0*4πε0*r=Q, so now I would just use σ=Q/A, which would translate into σ=Q/4πr^2, like PWiz said. Then I would use σ4πr^2=Q, which would give me V0*4πε0*r=σ4πr^2, so solving for σ I get Voε0/r=σ and that is the answer. Thank you to you both!

You are welcome :oldsmile:

1. What is the potential of a charged conducting sphere?

The potential of a charged conducting sphere is the measure of the electrical potential energy of a point on the surface of the sphere, relative to a reference point. It is given by the ratio of the charge on the sphere to its capacitance, and is typically measured in volts.

2. How is the potential of a charged conducting sphere calculated?

The potential of a charged conducting sphere can be calculated using the equation V = Q/C, where V is the potential, Q is the charge on the sphere, and C is the capacitance of the sphere. The capacitance of a sphere can be determined using the formula C = 4πε0r, where ε0 is the permittivity of free space and r is the radius of the sphere.

3. Does the potential of a charged conducting sphere depend on its charge?

Yes, the potential of a charged conducting sphere is directly proportional to its charge. This means that as the charge on the sphere increases, the potential also increases, and vice versa.

4. What is the significance of the potential of a charged conducting sphere?

The potential of a charged conducting sphere is important in understanding and predicting the behavior of electrical systems. It helps determine the direction and strength of electric fields, and is also used in calculations related to capacitance, electric potential energy, and work done in moving charges.

5. Can the potential of a charged conducting sphere be negative?

Yes, the potential of a charged conducting sphere can be negative. This occurs when the sphere has a negative charge, or when the reference point used has a higher potential than the sphere. Negative potential values do not affect the overall behavior of the system, but they are important in understanding the relative potential energies of different points in the system.