Finding the Potential of a Charged Rod on the x-axis

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the potential of a positively charged rod with charge Q at a point located at a distance x from the rod. The solution involves using the equation V=∫K*dQ/R and integrating over the length of the rod, with the limits of integration being -L/2 to L/2. The final solution is Kλ[ln((x+L/2)/(x-L/2))], where λ=Q/L.
camira

Homework Statement

Hi all,
I need to find the potential of a positively charged rod with charge Q. Assuming to the right as positive,the center of the rod is on the origin, and it extends to -L/2 in the negative x direction, and L/2 in the positive x direction.
There is a point at distance x, located to the right of the rod, on the x axis.
I have to express the answer in terms of the variables Q, L, x, and appropriate constants.

Homework Equations

V= ∫K*dQ/R
λ=Q/L

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this question has been asked here before, but I wasn't able to come to a conclusion about it myself based on these posts...so here we go:
I started by choosing an arbitrary point on the rod, called dQ, that is a distance dx away from the point.
λ=dQ/dx
dQ=λ*dx
I have my equation
V=∫K*dQ/R
sub in for dQ
V=∫K*λ*dx/R
I know I need to integrate over the length of the rod. So i decided to use the bounds as 0 to L/2, and then multiply the integral by 2.
This is where I am stuck. I don't know what the value for R is...I am leaning towards x+L..but I am not sure. Also I seem to have gotten rid of my Q variable..so I am not sure I should have subbed in λ*dx for it...
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
camira said:
I started by choosing an arbitrary point on the rod, called dQ, that is a distance dx away from the point.
x is a finite distance away from the end of the rod. What you say here makes no sense to me.
Consider various elements of charge dQ = λ dx along the rod. The element of dQ closest to x will be at what distance from x? The element of charge dQ farthest from x will be at what distance from x? So what should be your limits of integration?

rude man said:
x is a finite distance away from the end of the rod. What you say here makes no sense to me.
Consider various elements of charge dQ = λ dx along the rod. The element of dQ closest to x will be at what distance from x? The element of charge dQ farthest from x will be at what distance from x? So what should be your limits of integration?
The closest element of dQ to x will be...L/2 + x...I'm not sure about the furthest...I am thinking x+L?
I am still not sure about the radius R though, because the small section of charge being summed can be at any distance on the rod away from the set point.

If you already have an x axis, it's better to have point at position x, not at distance x (that's confusing). Make a drawing to find out what is meant with the variables involved. Also you want to clearly distinguish between the integration variable (I see a dx) and the ('fixed' *) x coordinate of the point where you want to calculate the potential.

*) 'during' the integration

So i decided to use the bounds as 0 to L/2, and then multiply the integral by 2.
Not wise. The integrand isn't the same for the other interval

Thanks everyone for the replies
After contemplating this further, I think I didn't do a very good job of conceptualizing the situation
So starting from the beginning:
Let's call the distance the point is away(so from the origin to the point) x.
Rod is the same -L/2 to L/2
The distance that my charge, dQ, is at, from the origin, is D.
λ=dQ/dD=Q/L, so λdD=(Q/L*dD)
I know that the distance from the point to my dQ is x-D, so R=x-D
I want to integrate from -L/2 to L/2
so:
K∫λdD/R
Kλ∫dD/(x-D)
Integrate:
Kλ [-ln (x-D)] from -L/2 to L/2
Kλ[-ln (x- L/2) + ln(x+L/2)]
using log rules:
Kλ[ln((x+L/2)/(x-L/2))
to express in terms of Q, just sub in for λ=Q/L
I think this is more accurate

camira said:
Kλ[ln((x+L/2)/(x-L/2))
to express in terms of Q, just sub in for λ=Q/L
I think this is more accurate
This is correct. Good!

What is the potential of a finite rod?

The potential of a finite rod refers to the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge that is present at different points along the length of the rod.

How is the potential of a finite rod calculated?

The potential of a finite rod can be calculated using the formula V=kλ/r, where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb constant, λ is the linear charge density of the rod, and r is the distance from the point of interest to the rod.

What factors affect the potential of a finite rod?

The potential of a finite rod is affected by the length and charge density of the rod, as well as the distance from the rod and the Coulomb constant.

What are the units of potential for a finite rod?

The units of potential for a finite rod are volts (V) or joules per coulomb (J/C).

How does the potential of a finite rod change as the distance from the rod increases?

The potential of a finite rod decreases as the distance from the rod increases, following an inverse relationship. This means that the potential becomes smaller the further away from the rod you are.