Potential Step and Amplitudes

In summary, the problem involves a beam of particles with energy E incident upon a potential step of U0=5/4E. The wave function is given by \psi(x)_{inc}=1e^{ikx}. The task is to determine the reflected wave and the wave inside the step by enforcing continuity conditions. The solution involves solving for the amplitudes of the plane waves in sections (I) and (II) and setting them equal at x=0. The correct solution, as shown in the book, involves an imaginary term after the step, which may be confusing. It is important to understand that this is due to the decaying potential, not the plane wave itself. It may be helpful to review the equations
erok81

Homework Statement

A beam of particles of energy E and incident upon a potential step of U0=5/4E is described by the wave function;

[tex]\psi(x)_{inc}=1e^{ikx}[/tex]

Determine completely the reflected wave and the wave inside the step by enforcing the required continuity conditions to obtain their amplitudes.

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

In this case U0 > E

My step has two three locations. (I) before the step, x=0 at the boundary, and (II) after the step.

In section (I) I'll have two plane waves, one incident and one reflected. These are given by:

ψI(x)=Aeikx+Be-ikx

Section (II) I only have one wave function given by.

ψII(x)=Ce-αx

At x=0 my two functions and their derivatives need to be continuous. So setting my plane waves and their derivatives equal at x=0 I get the two equations:

A+B=C
ik(A-B)=-αC

Where A is given to be one.

α and k are both given as √[2m(U0-E)]/ℏ

Cancelling the α and k and setting the A as 1 I get

1+B=C
i-iB=-C

So anyway, I continue to solve for B and C and think I am done. I check the book and I am no where near close. The book shows:

[tex]\left(\frac{3}{5}- \frac{4}{5}i\right)e^{ikx},~\left(\frac{8}{5}- \frac{4}{5}i\right)e^{\alpha x}[/tex]

Besides not getting the answer right, I don't see how I have an imaginary term after the step. Since it is a decaying potential not a plane wave.

Am I even approaching this correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
I know the book is right so if you could help me understand what I am missing it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

1. What is a potential step?

A potential step is a sudden change in the electric potential across a material. This can occur at the interface between two materials or within a single material.

2. How does a potential step affect the movement of charge carriers?

A potential step can either increase or decrease the energy of charge carriers, depending on the direction of the potential change. This can affect the speed and direction of the charge carriers, leading to changes in conductivity or resistance of the material.

3. How is the amplitude of a potential step determined?

The amplitude of a potential step is determined by the difference in electric potential between the two sides of the step. This can be measured using a voltmeter or calculated using the electric potential equation, V = IR.

4. What is the relationship between potential step and amplitude?

The potential step and amplitude are directly related - as the potential step increases, the amplitude of the electric potential also increases. This can lead to changes in the behavior of charge carriers and can have significant effects on the properties of a material.

5. How do potential step and amplitude affect the band structure of a material?

Potential step and amplitude can significantly alter the band structure of a material. This can result in changes in the energy levels of electrons and holes, altering their movement and behavior within the material. These changes can have a profound effect on the electronic properties of the material.