Potentials of the points in the electrical circuit

In summary, The conversation is about finding the resistance of a circuit using the method of finding points with equal potentials. The participants discuss different approaches and suggest using symmetry to simplify the problem. They also request for resources and examples to help with understanding the process.
Petrulis

Homework Statement

So, first of all, here is a drawing of a circuit:

http://img253.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hexabj4.jpg

The resistance of each hexagon wire is r.

I need to find the resistance of this circuit when it is connected to the source with points A and B.

I know that in this case I need to find the points in the circuit which potentials are equal. Then I should be able to simplify this circuit and find out the resistance of it.

So I know what I have to do, but I don't know how to do it. I have tried searching the internet, but I haven't found any resourses which explain the process.

Do you know any resources, articles or something similar which explain how to find the points in the circuit which have the same potentials?

Any help or suggestion would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the trick is to put in a test current (from memory)

What you can do is apply a voltage V. ie: The +V potential is connected to A... 0 is connect to B.

try to use symmetry. let k be the potential to the upper left of B... what are all the other potentials in terms of k and V...

try to find k in terms of V. what is the net current going through this network of resistors...

I believe this is equivalent to the test current approach :smile:

mjsd said:
I believe this is equivalent to the test current approach :smile:

yeah, sorry. I didn't see your post before I posted. :smile:

no need to apologise... I just thought the OP may not see it that way :rolleyes:

Thanks for answers.

I was really talking about a little bit different way for solving this kind of problems.
For example, please have a look at this picture:

http://img340.imageshack.us/my.php?image=copyofhexaoe6.jpg

Hexagonal circuit has got a vertical symmetry axis, so the potentials of the points K, L and M are the same, so we can connect these three points.

So I am looking for this kind of examples how to solve similar problems. Do you know any good resources which show more examples and methods how to do that?

Please somebody help me with this problem. I just need some resources which I could use for learning.

1. What are potentials of the points in an electrical circuit?

In an electrical circuit, potentials refer to the voltage or electric potential difference between two points. It represents the amount of energy per unit charge required to move a charge from one point to another.

2. How are potentials measured in an electrical circuit?

Potentials are measured in volts (V) using a voltmeter. The voltmeter is connected in parallel to the two points in the circuit to measure the potential difference between them.

3. What is the significance of potentials in an electrical circuit?

Potentials play a crucial role in determining the flow of electric current in a circuit. They determine the direction in which the current will flow and the amount of current that will flow through the circuit.

4. Can the potentials of points in an electrical circuit be negative?

Yes, the potentials of points in an electrical circuit can be negative. This typically occurs when one point in the circuit has a higher potential than the other, resulting in a potential difference that is negative.

5. How can the potentials of points in an electrical circuit be changed?

The potentials of points in an electrical circuit can be changed by altering the circuit components, such as the voltage source or resistors. The potential difference can also be changed by connecting the points to different parts of the circuit or by adding more components to the circuit.