Potters wheel coefficient of kinetic friction

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
arogers5
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A potter's wheel having a radius 0.49 m and a moment of inertia of 10.6 kg · m2 is rotating freely at 52 rev/min. The potter can stop the wheel in 5.5 s by pressing a wet rag against the rim and exerting a radially inward force of 68 N. Find the effective coefficient of kinetic friction between the wheel and the wet rag.



Homework Equations



I = .5mr^2





The Attempt at a Solution



I wasnt sure where to start. I know how to solve for the mass of the wheel, I know the moment of inertia formula and I know that the coefficient of kinetic friction is equal to μN. I drew a picture of the situation but am not sure how the moment of inertia and the decelleration are going to relate to the force that is applied.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi arogers5! welcome to pf! :smile:

first do the geometry, then the physics

the geometry is the angular acceleration: find it from the given initial and final speeds, and the time

then use the moment of inertia to find the total torque

then subtract to find the friction :wink: