Power and velocity as a function of time

In summary, the problem involves finding the velocity as a function of time for a steam-engine traveling at a constant power output of 1.5MW, regardless of its velocity. The first question involves finding the mass of the steam-engine if it accelerates from 10 m/s to 25 m/s in 6 seconds, while the second question involves describing the velocity of the steam-engine as a function of time. The solution to the first question involves setting up and solving a differential equation, while the second question involves finding the integration constant using the initial values of the problem.
RoyalCat

Homework Statement

A steam-engine is traveling along a rail, with a constant power output of [tex]1.5MW[/tex], regardless of its velocity.

1. What is the mass of the steam-engine if it is known that it accelerates from [tex]10\frac{m}{s}[/tex] to [tex]25\frac{m}{s}[/tex] in [tex]6 sec[/tex]?
2. Describe the velocity of the steam-engine as a function of time.
And the other questions follow from these two.

Homework Equations

[tex]P=\vec F \cdot \vec V=\frac{\Delta W}{\Delta t}=constant[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]P=\frac{\Delta W}{\Delta t}=\tfrac{1}{2}\frac{(v_f^2-v_0^2)}{\Delta t}m[/tex]

[tex]m=\frac{2P\Delta t}{v_f^2-v_0^2}[/tex]
//

[tex]F=\frac{P}{v}[/tex]

[tex]a=\tfrac{P}{m}v^{-1}[/tex]

[tex]\dot v=\tfrac{P}{m}v^{-1}[/tex] Here we have a simple differential equation.

[tex]\frac{dv}{dt}=\tfrac{P}{m}\frac{dt}{dx}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dv}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}=\tfrac{P}{m}\frac{dt}{dx}[/tex]

[tex]v\cdot dv=\tfrac{P}{m}dt[/tex]

[tex]\tfrac{1}{2}v^2=\tfrac{P}{m}\cdot t+C[/tex]

Now how do I get from here to the final solution? Omitting the [tex]+C[/tex] completely provides a function [tex]v(t)[/tex] that is indeed a solution to the differential equation. However, it assumes that [tex]v_0=0[/tex]
I can't quite find a way to incorporate the initial values into the solution.

Well, I did find a way, but it doesn't quite make sense mathematically, I'd love a thorough explanation as to why the following is correct:

[tex]\tfrac{P}{m}\equiv \tau[/tex]
[tex]v(t)=\sqrt{2\tau\cdot t+v_0^2}[/tex]

Taking the time-derivative provides us with:
[tex]\dot v(t)=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{2\tau\cdot t+v_0^2}}\cdot 2\tau[/tex]
The above must also be equal to: [tex]\tau v^{-1}[/tex] in order to satisfy the differential equation.
[tex]\tau v^{-1}=\tau \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\tau\cdot t+v_0^2}}[/tex]

So the differential equation is satisfied.

Checking that against the data in question #1, shows that it holds, and it makes sense, since at [tex]t=0\rightarrow v=v_0[/tex], however, it seems as though we used the integration constant quite haphazardly, so I'd love an explanation. :)

Is it just a matter of isolation [tex]v(t)=\sqrt{2\tau\cdot t+2C}[/tex]

And then finding, using the initial values of the problem that [tex]2C=v_0^2[/tex] ?With thanks in advance, Anatoli.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem asks you to find the velocity as a function of time. Assume that that "time" starts (t = 0) when the steam-engine is traveling at 10 m/s. Put that in your equation and solve for C. It would be clearer to you what is going on if you had limits to your integration of the diff. eq., namely v0 to v on the left and t0 to t on the right.

kuruman said:
The problem asks you to find the velocity as a function of time. Assume that that "time" starts (t = 0) when the steam-engine is traveling at 10 m/s. Put that in your equation and solve for C. It would be clearer to you what is going on if you had limits to your integration of the diff. eq., namely v0 to v on the left and t0 to t on the right.

Oof! Big mistake on my part, thanks a lot for helping clear that up. :)
I assumed [tex]v_0=0[/tex] so no wonder that showed up in my result!

1. What is power?

Power is the rate at which work is done or energy is transferred. It is measured in watts (W) and is calculated by dividing work by time.

2. How is velocity related to time?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. It is measured in meters per second (m/s) and is calculated by dividing the change in position by the change in time.

3. What is the relationship between power and velocity?

Power and velocity are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the velocity of an object increases, its power also increases. This relationship is described by the equation Power = Work/Time = (Force x Distance)/Time = Force x Velocity.

4. How does power change as time increases?

The power of an object can change as time increases, depending on the change in velocity. If the velocity remains constant, the power will also remain constant. However, if the velocity increases or decreases, the power will also increase or decrease accordingly.

5. How can power and velocity be graphed as a function of time?

Power and velocity can be graphed as a function of time on a line graph. The y-axis represents power and velocity, while the x-axis represents time. The resulting graph will show how power and velocity change over time, and the slope of the line will represent the rate of change for both variables.