Understanding the Power Map in Tensor Analysis: Bishop and Goldberg Page 6

• Thread starter pmb_phy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Map Power
In summary, the authors define the power set as the collection of all subsets of a given set, and the power map as a mapping from the power set of one set to the power set of another set, defined by the given function between the two sets. The set B plays a role in the power map as the codomain of the given function, as it determines the possible subsets of B that can be obtained from subsets of A.
pmb_phy
I'm a bit confused as to how the text Tensor Analysis on Manifolds, by Bishop and Goldberg on page 6.

The authors define the term power set as follows

The authors define the term power map as follows

If f: A -> B, the we define the power map of f, f: PA -> PB by fC = {fc| fa is an element of C} for every C which is an element of PA}

What is confusing to me is that nowhere in the definition does the set B occur. What role does B have in the power map?

Thank you

Pete

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
pmb_phy said:
The authors define the term power map as follows

If f: A -> B, the we define the power map of f, f: PA -> PB by fC = {fc| fa is an element of C} for every C which is an element of PA}

What is confusing to me is that nowhere in the definition does the set B occur. What role does B have in the power map?

I think your definition of the power set is a bit off here. Given a mapping f:A->B, where A and B are arbitrary sets, the power map is given by

f(C)={f(c): c is an element of C} for any subset C of A.

The sets A & B are just given sets. The power map is simply the concept that, if you are given a mapping from one set to another, A to B, then this mapping can be used to construct a mapping on the power set of A & B, i.e., one that sends each subset of A to some subset of B.

Doodle Bob said:
I think your definition of the power set is a bit off here. Given a mapping f:A->B, where A and B are arbitrary sets, the power map is given by

f(C)={f(c): c is an element of C} for any subset C of A.

The sets A & B are just given sets. The power map is simply the concept that, if you are given a mapping from one set to another, A to B, then this mapping can be used to construct a mapping on the power set of A & B, i.e., one that sends each subset of A to some subset of B.
Thanks. But the set B does not appear in the definition of the power map, hence my question.

Pete

pmb_phy said:
Thanks. But the set B does not appear in the definition of the power map, hence my question.

Well, it is there, even if it isn't specifically stated. For any subset C of A and any element c of C, f(c) will be an element of B (since f is a given function from A to B); and hence the image of the subset f(C) will be a subset of B. Hence, the power map is indeed a mapping from the power set of A to the power set of B.

1. What is the power map in tensor analysis?

The power map in tensor analysis is a function that assigns a tensor to each vector in a tensor space. It allows for the transformation of vectors and tensors in a way that preserves their properties and relationships.

2. How is the power map related to the concept of tensors?

The power map is an essential tool in tensor analysis as it allows for the manipulation and transformation of tensors. It is closely related to the concept of tensors as it is a function that operates on tensors and preserves their properties.

3. What is the significance of the power map in practical applications?

The power map has many practical applications, particularly in physics and engineering. It is used to solve problems involving stress and strain, fluid mechanics, and electromagnetism, among others.

4. How does the power map differ from other operations in tensor analysis?

The power map differs from other operations in tensor analysis in that it operates on a single vector, rather than multiple vectors or tensors. It also preserves the type and order of the tensor, unlike other operations that may change these properties.

5. How can one gain a better understanding of the power map in tensor analysis?

A good way to gain a better understanding of the power map is to practice solving problems that involve its use. It may also be helpful to study the properties and relationships of tensors and how they are affected by the power map. Additionally, consulting resources such as textbooks and online tutorials can provide further insight into the concept.