Power measurement of a servo motor using simple instruments

In summary, the author is looking for a way to measure the power usage of a servo motor. He knows the power usage of the controller on standby, but is looking for suggestions for measuring the motor power consumption. He is asking for suggestions for measuring the power usage, not for advice on how to measure the power usage.
Fizzics
Hello all,
I have a 1kw 3 phase 10 pole servo motor which is powered from 240 volt ac single phase supply via an invertek p2 controller/inverter. The motor is only operated for short high speed bursts and I would really like to be able to measure the power usage of the motor using formula and simple instruments such as a quality multimeter with peak hold rather than an expensive power analyser. I know the power usage of the controller on standby but can anyone offer me any suggestions for measuring the motor power consumption.
Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Fizzics said:
Hello all,
I have a 1kw 3 phase 10 pole servo motor which is powered from 240 volt ac single phase supply via an invertek p2 controller/inverter. The motor is only operated for short high speed bursts and I would really like to be able to measure the power usage of the motor using formula and simple instruments such as a quality multimeter with peak hold rather than an expensive power analyser. I know the power usage of the controller on standby but can anyone offer me any suggestions for measuring the motor power consumption.
Thank you.
is this for observation/measurement purposes or control purposes?
Will this be a permanent fixture?
How accurate does it have to be?

It is for MEASUREMENT purposes as stated, as accurate as possible with basic instruments your questions are already answered in my question description above.

(1) You could estimate the power usage from information about the load configuration and it's motions .

(2) The upper limit of power consumption is going to be approximately given by motor rated power multiplied by the ON time .

(3) An electrical method could possibly be devised using a clamp meter to measure average current flowing in one of the phases during ON time .

Fizzics said:
It is for MEASUREMENT purposes as stated, as accurate as possible with basic instruments your questions are already answered in my question description above.
no those are not adequate answers.

You can measure it but are you going to do with the data? simply record it and use it as a general reference? use it to tune motor parameters? Do you need to give this number to a customer? are you going to use this data to size components in a controller? how long is this high speed burst?

are you going to use it once so a little handheld unit is sufficient? will this be in a lab for 10 years?

Accurate as possible again is not sufficient. it boils down to how you need to use it and how much money you can spend. We also need to know the expected current range to properly size the device (this can be derived from the power rating)

Likes berkeman
There are relatively basic instruments that can read single phase power, but still need V and I input - so you can measure at the input, 240V Line. Other than that it will be very difficult to get a reading more accurate than the drive will give you itself using something like a DMM. Note that drive also records energy usage.

If you are concerned about the accuracy of info the Drive is giving you, then I would compare single V and I readings to the data from the Drive. You can not get PF from a basic DMM.

Lastly - manually measuring 240 VAC in the US is live line work and requires PPE and training.

There is a device called "kill-a-watt" that's popular in the US. It measures Volts, Amps, Watts amd accumulates Watts. There may be a similar device or model available where you are for 240V mains. If not, you may be able to use an international voltage converter ( a step down transformer) and have an electrician wire it up correctly to measure current in one leg of the 240V line but supply the device with 120V. Then you would just double the Watt reading of the device to account for the double line voltage.

UPDATE:
Tom.G said:
you may be able to use an international voltage converter ( a step down transformer) and have an electrician wire it up correctly to measure current in one leg of the 240V line but supply the device with 120V.
I took apart my US version kill-a-watt and noted that the current measurement is done on the Neutral wire, that's the wide opening of the socket. So that's the one that would have to be connected to one leg of the 240V line. The third, round Grounding, pin is not used internally, just fed thru from input to output.

1. What is a servo motor and why is power measurement important?

A servo motor is an electromechanical device that can be used for precise control of position, speed, and torque. It is commonly used in robotics, industrial automation, and other applications that require precise movement. Power measurement is important because it allows us to understand the performance and efficiency of the servo motor, which can help in selecting the right motor for a specific application.

2. What are the basic instruments needed for power measurement of a servo motor?

The basic instruments needed for power measurement of a servo motor include a multimeter, a power supply, and a torque sensor (if measuring torque). A multimeter is used to measure voltage, current, and resistance, while a power supply is used to provide a stable source of power to the motor. A torque sensor measures the torque output of the motor.

3. How do you measure the power of a servo motor using simple instruments?

To measure the power of a servo motor, you can follow these steps:1. Connect the multimeter to the power supply and set it to measure current.2. Connect the power supply to the motor and set the voltage to the desired level.3. Run the motor at different speeds and record the current and voltage values.4. Calculate the power using the formula: Power = Voltage x Current.5. Repeat the process for different voltage levels and plot a graph of power vs. speed.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of power measurement for a servo motor?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of power measurement for a servo motor, such as:1. The quality and accuracy of the instruments used.2. Variations in the power supply voltage.3. Friction and mechanical losses in the motor.4. Sensitivity and accuracy of the torque sensor (if used).5. Environmental factors such as temperature and humidity.

5. Can power measurement of a servo motor be used for troubleshooting or maintenance purposes?

Yes, power measurement can be a useful tool for troubleshooting and maintenance of a servo motor. By measuring the power, you can identify any abnormalities or inefficiencies in the motor's performance, which can help in diagnosing and fixing any issues. It can also be used to monitor the motor's performance over time and detect any changes or wear and tear that may require maintenance or replacement.