Power of a battery calculation

In summary, the power delivered by the batteries A and B is 5.714, 1.143, and -4.571 volts respectively.
electrohau5

Homework Statement

Calculate the power Pa and Pb supplied by batteries A and B respectively

(see attached diagram)

Homework Equations

P=iV, P=i^2R, and P=V^2/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I already found i1, i2 and i3 to be 5.714, 1.143, and -4.571 respectively.

I am confused over the difference between P=iV, P=i^2R, and P=V^2/R
so I am not sure what to do next.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    5.8 KB · Views: 457
Physics news on Phys.org
You could use I^2R to work out the power dissipated in each resistor BUT that wouldn't necessarily tell you which battery supplied it or how much (at least not without further calculations).

The power delivered by a battery is simply the battery voltage multiplied by the battery current.

Likes 1 person
electrohau5 said:

Homework Statement

Calculate the power Pa and Pb supplied by batteries A and B respectively

(see attached diagram)

Homework Equations

P=iV, P=i^2R, and P=V^2/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I already found i1, i2 and i3 to be 5.714, 1.143, and -4.571 respectively.
You'll have to supply component values if we're to check your work.
I am confused over the difference between P=iV, P=i^2R, and P=V^2/R
so I am not sure what to do next.
Each of the expressions will yield the same value for power if you know the current, voltage, and resistance of the given component. For components without a specified resistance (such as ideal voltage supplies or current supplies) you would choose the P = IV expression, having obtained the voltage and current for the device.

Likes 1 person
"I am confused over the difference between P=iV, P=i^2R, and P=V^2/R"
Start with P = VI and recall that V = IR
Substitute IR for V in P = VI and you get P = I^2R
From V = IR, I = V/R Substitute V/R for I and you get P = V^2/R

Likes 1 person
gneill said:
You'll have to supply component values if we're to check your work.

Each of the expressions will yield the same value for power if you know the current, voltage, and resistance of the given component. For components without a specified resistance (such as ideal voltage supplies or current supplies) you would choose the P = IV expression, having obtained the voltage and current for the device.

So would I in P=IV be I1, since it goes through each battery, and would V be the emf of each battery?

electrohau5 said:
So would I in P=IV be I1, since it goes through each battery, and would V be the emf of each battery?

Right. Be careful with the current direction; current flowing out of the + terminal of the battery means the battery is supplying power to the circuit, while current flowing into the + terminal means the battery is sinking (absorbing) power.

Likes 1 person
What gneil said. In this circuit both batteries are supplying power, however you might come across other problems involving two batteries where the direction of the current means one battery is being charged by the other. In that case the power delivered by the battery being charged is negative.

Likes 1 person
thanks guys, I think I got this now

What is the power of a battery?

The power of a battery refers to the amount of electrical energy that the battery can supply over a specific period of time. It is typically measured in watts (W) or milliwatts (mW).

How is the power of a battery calculated?

The power of a battery can be calculated by multiplying the voltage of the battery by the current it can supply. This is known as P=VI, where P is power, V is voltage, and I is current.

What factors affect the power of a battery?

The power of a battery can be affected by several factors, including the type and size of the battery, its age and condition, the temperature, and the load or device it is powering.

How does the power of a battery affect its performance?

The power of a battery directly affects its performance. A battery with a higher power rating will be able to supply more energy and can power devices for a longer period of time. However, a higher power battery may also have a shorter lifespan and may be more expensive.

Why is it important to calculate the power of a battery?

Calculating the power of a battery is important because it can help determine the battery's suitability for a particular application. It can also help in selecting the right battery for a device, understanding its performance capabilities, and ensuring optimal use and longevity of the battery.