Determining the Power of a Pole: f=\frac{z}{1-\cos z}

This is done by using the hospital rule, which involves finding the derivative of both the numerator and denominator separately and then evaluating the limit again. In this case, g'(z) evaluates to -1, so the power of the pole is 1. In summary, the conversation discusses the process of determining the power of a pole for the function f=\frac{z}{1-\cos z}. The singular points of the function are z=2pik and zero, and the goal is to determine the power of the pole at zero. The first attempt is to find the derivative of the function g=\frac{1-\cos z}{z}, but it results in an indeterminate form of 0/0. The book suggests using
nhrock3
[tex]f=\frac{z}{1-\cos z}[/tex]

the singular points are z=2pik and zero
i solved for z=2pik
and poles because there limit is infinity
now i want to determine te power of the pole
g=1/f=[tex]\frac{1-\cos z}{z}[/tex]
[tex]g'=\frac{(-\sin z)z-(1-\cos z)}{z^2}[/tex]
[tex]g'(0)=0/0[/tex]
[tex]g''=\frac{-\sin z z^2 -(cos z -1)2z}{z^4}[/tex]
[tex]g''(0)=0/0[/tex]

the book says that its a first order pole

it should differ zero in order to be pole

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
once again, try expanding the cosine as a taylor series about zero, should help you see what is happening

but i want to solve it this way
where did i go wrong in this way

i want to solve it by the derivative way
not by developing into a series

Last edited:
0/0 is an indeterminate form. You need to use the hospital rule to get an actual value for the limit.

but its not a limit
its a derivative

You can't just plug in 0 to evaluate g'(0) because you get an indeterminate form. You have to find the limit of g'(z) as z→0.

Related to Determining the Power of a Pole: f=\frac{z}{1-\cos z}

1. What is the formula for determining the power of a pole?

The formula for determining the power of a pole is f = z/(1 - cos(z)), where z represents the location of the pole on the complex plane.

2. How do you interpret the result of the power of a pole?

The result of the power of a pole is a measure of the strength of the pole's influence on the behavior of a function in its vicinity. A higher power indicates a stronger influence.

3. Can the power of a pole be negative?

Yes, the power of a pole can be negative. A negative power indicates a pole that is closer to zero on the complex plane, and therefore has a weaker influence on the behavior of a function.

4. How can the power of a pole be determined experimentally?

The power of a pole can be determined experimentally by observing the behavior of a function in the vicinity of the pole and analyzing the rate of change of the function's values as z approaches the pole.

5. What is the significance of the power of a pole in complex analysis?

The power of a pole is an important concept in complex analysis as it helps us understand the behavior of functions and their singularities. It also plays a crucial role in the development of techniques for solving complex integrals and partial differential equations.