Power required to reverse an electropermanent magnet

In summary, the author is trying to find out how to turn a magnet around using either AC or DC power, and needs to know the power and pulse width required. He found a paper that might help, but it is complicated.
Undacuva
Hi,
I need to know how to calculate the power level and pulse width required to revers the polarity of a rod or bar shaped alnico magnet, depending on the width. I also don't know whether to use AC or DC power.

I'm prototyping an invention and it needs to be as power efficient as possible.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you don't understand if you need to use AC or DC power, then I have to question if you know enough to be making prototypes and inventing things involving magnets and electromagnets. Do you know how an electromagnet works? What would happen if you pump DC through an electromagnet? How about AC?
Unless you are asking something else related to the AC or DC part. I assume you are asking about pumping it through the coils.

power enough to heat the metal to 900 degree C plus the power to produce a magnetic field strong enough to magnetise the metal while it cools. Does not sound efficient. why not just turn it around ?

Hi Folks,
Just to avoid confusion, I need to send pulses something like 1ms duration (or shorter), maybe 2 or 3 times a second down a wire coil around an alnico magnet to reverse its polarity. This process doesn't require heating the magnet at all. Just a strong burst of electricity.

The theoretical materials I've found out there are a bit short on the details as to the power and pulse width required for the given physical size. This design is used in switchable magnets from a lot of manufacturers.

If Drakkith knows the answer but doesn't want to give it, then he doesn't have to. ... :-)

Undacuva said:
Hi,
I need to know how to calculate the power level and pulse width required to revers the polarity of a rod or bar shaped alnico magnet, depending on the width. I also don't know whether to use AC or DC power.

I'm prototyping an invention and it needs to be as power efficient as possible.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=hy...HVCaGS0QWStIHgDA&ved=0CCMQsAQ&biw=942&bih=445

Hi Undacuva,
Are you asking about the –H demagnetising force? In that case the above websites provide a wealth of information on alnico magnets. Mind you I’ve not gone through all of them but mostly they are dealing with a constant reverse magnetic force field and not a pulsating one. Maybe there are some which will tell you the minimum required time needed.

Undacuva said:
If Drakkith knows the answer but doesn't want to give it, then he doesn't have to. ... :-)

Can't say I do. I just usually play intercept to a lot of the "new guys" here that ask questions that sometimes make no sense or that makes them appear like they don't know what they are doing. It seems like you know a bit more than that however. My apologies.

1. How is the power required to reverse an electropermanent magnet calculated?

The power required to reverse an electropermanent magnet is calculated by multiplying the magnetic field strength by the magnetic moment of the magnet and the time it takes to reverse the magnet. This can be represented by the equation: P = B x M x t, where P is power, B is magnetic field strength, M is magnetic moment, and t is time.

2. What factors affect the power required to reverse an electropermanent magnet?

The power required to reverse an electropermanent magnet is affected by several factors including the strength of the magnetic field, the magnetic moment of the magnet, and the speed at which the magnet is reversed. Additionally, the materials used in the construction of the magnet and the surrounding environment can also impact the power required.

3. How can the power required to reverse an electropermanent magnet be reduced?

The power required to reverse an electropermanent magnet can be reduced by increasing the strength of the magnetic field, using materials with higher magnetic permeability, and optimizing the design of the magnet. Additionally, reducing the time it takes to reverse the magnet can also decrease the power required.

4. What are the applications of electropermanent magnets in power generation?

Electropermanent magnets are commonly used in power generation systems, particularly in applications that require high torque and low power consumption. They are also used in renewable energy sources such as wind turbines and hydroelectric generators, as well as in electric motors and generators in various industries.

5. Is the power required to reverse an electropermanent magnet constant?

No, the power required to reverse an electropermanent magnet is not constant. It varies depending on the factors mentioned above, such as magnetic field strength, magnetic moment, and speed of reversal. Additionally, the power required may also change over time as the magnet ages or as external factors such as temperature or humidity fluctuate.