What is causing the 0.7V voltage drop across the capacitor?

In summary, the output of the opamps is 0.7v when a 1k capacitor is connected to the output. This is due to oscillation in the opamps.
likephysics
I have this arrangement where 0.45V supply and 5v supply are connected to a load (say 6k resistor).
The 5V source is forcing current to flow into the 0.45V supply.

This is a bit counter intuitive. Power supplies usually source current.
Ckt schematic attached.

Attachments

• buffer prob.png
    buffer prob.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 486
Engineering news on Phys.org
That is a pretty standard Kirchoff Law problem.

Is this homework?

A hint would be to work out an equivalent resistor for all those resistors in parallel.

likephysics said:
The 5V source is forcing current to flow into the 0.45V supply. This is a bit counter intuitive. Power supplies usually source current.

What is the magnitude and direction of the current here:

SkL1O.png

vk6kro said:
That is a pretty standard Kirchoff Law problem.

Is this homework?

A hint would be to work out an equivalent resistor for all those resistors in parallel.

I wish it was a homework problem. I could have easily accepted current flowing in the other direction than what is expected.

The 0.45V is actually an opamp buffer output(unity gain, non-inverting), which sets the reference for 12 comparators. All the parallel resistors are hysteresis resistors of 12 comparators. Single supply comparator with Vcc=5v. Input at inverting input.
When the load is 0.1uF cap instead of the resistor R2, I get 0.7v across the capacitor.
If I replace the cap with a 1k resistor, I get 0.45v.
I can't figure out why the voltage of buffer is 0.7v when I connect a capacitor.

The capacitive load is not causing the voltage to be 0.7v. I have removed the capacitor and measured the output. It's still the same.

gnurf said:
What is the magnitude and direction of the current here:

SkL1O.png

5Amps flowing from right to left (10v to 5v).

There are many more components than are shown in the diagram and this includes many diode junctions inside the opamps. So, it gets difficult to predict where odd voltages are coming from.

However, it would be worth observing the voltages at various points with an oscilloscope to check for oscillation in some of the opamps.
This would explain some of the odd behaviour.

A voltage that is 0.45 volts across a resistor but 0.7 volts across a capacitor sounds familiar from power supply design, so it is possible you have some oscillation going on.

vk6kro said:
There are many more components than are shown in the diagram and this includes many diode junctions inside the opamps. So, it gets difficult to predict where odd voltages are coming from.

However, it would be worth observing the voltages at various points with an oscilloscope to check for oscillation in some of the opamps.
This would explain some of the odd behaviour.

A voltage that is 0.45 volts across a resistor but 0.7 volts across a capacitor sounds familiar from power supply design, so it is possible you have some oscillation going on.

All the voltages were measure using oscilloscope. I even put the scope in AC coupling to looks for oscillations. I saw none. The probe ground clip was as short as possible.

I also measured without any load across op amp output and ground (just the scope probe). No oscillations, but still 0.7v.

1. What is power supply sinking current?

Power supply sinking current refers to the amount of current that a power supply can continuously draw from a load, without causing any damage or overheating.

2. How is power supply sinking current different from sourcing current?

Power supply sinking current is the amount of current that can be drawn from a power supply, while sourcing current is the amount of current that a power supply can provide to a load. In other words, sinking current is the maximum current that can be pulled from a power supply, while sourcing current is the maximum current that can be pushed from a power supply.

3. What factors affect power supply sinking current?

The amount of power supply sinking current is affected by the load resistance, the design and specifications of the power supply, and the ambient temperature. A lower load resistance or higher ambient temperature can decrease the amount of sinking current that a power supply can handle.

4. Why is power supply sinking current important?

Power supply sinking current is important because it ensures that the power supply and the load are properly matched. If the load requires more current than the power supply can provide, it can lead to overheating, voltage drops, and potential damage to the components. It also helps to ensure the stability and reliability of the power supply and the load.

5. How can the power supply sinking current be measured?

The power supply sinking current can be measured by using a multimeter to measure the current drawn by the load. It can also be calculated by dividing the voltage across the load by the load resistance. However, it is important to note that the maximum sinking current may vary under different conditions, so it is recommended to consult the power supply's specifications for the most accurate measurement.