Why Did My Calculation of the Heat Transfer Rate in Thermal Physics Go Wrong?

In summary: There are also some nice derivations in the "External Links" section of the combined gas law article.)The combined gas law describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas, assuming that the amount of gas (number of moles) and gas constant (R) are held constant. It is a combination of three gas laws: Boyle's Law, Charles' Law, and Gay-Lussac's Law.Boyle's Law states that at a constant temperature, the volume of a gas is inversely proportional to its pressure (when there is a change in one, the other changes in the opposite direction). This can be expressed as PV = constant, where the constant is the product of the initial
Peter G.
Hi

The mass of liquid nitrogen in an open beaker is found to have decreased by 46.3 g in 10 minutes. If the S.L.H of vaporization of nitrogen at is boiling point is 1.99 x 105 J/Kg, at what rate were the surroundings heating the beaker?

This is what I did:

Q / 600 = 0.0463 / 600 x 1.99 x 105

I then got: Q / 600 = 15.35616667

But I got the answer wrong because I passed the 600 to the other side multiplying.

I am confused as to why I can't do so...

My best thought so far is that at the beginning I should do:

P = 0.0463 / 600 x 1.99 x 105

But can anyone explain why?

Thanks,
Peter G.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why would you "pass the 600 to the other side multiplying"?

Q/600 is presumably meant to reflect the total heat Q divided by the time in seconds, which would give you the rate that heat is absorbed. You've shown the 600 on the right hand side of your expression:

Q / 600 = 0.0463 / 600 x 1.99 x 105

That right hand side *is* the calculation for the rate, P = Q/600s.

Oh, ok, I get it, but the 600 dividing by the mass is correct, right?

And if you could help me with one other thing...

How do I derive the equation PV = nRT?

Well, to be more specific, how do we get PV / T combining all the laws: (Boyle's, Gas...)

Thanks

Last edited:
Peter G. said:
Oh, ok, I get it, but the 600 dividing by the mass is correct, right?

One way to verify that you're formula is correct is to keep the units with the values and make sure that the units work out as expected.

You know that you're looking for the rate of heating. Heat is specified in Joules, time is in seconds, so the rate is Joules per second (which are the units for Power, and J/s = Watts).

You first calculated the heat (Joules) by multiplying the mass (kg) by the heat of vaporization (Joules/kg). Then you divided by the time (seconds), yielding

kg x J/kg /s = J/s = W

So the units work out as expected and you can have confidence in your calculation.

And if you could help me with one other thing...

How do I derive the equation PV = nRT?

Well, to be more specific, how do we get PV / T combining all the laws: (Boyle's, Gas...)

Thanks

Take a look at the Wikipedia article for the combined gas law and the one for the ideal gas law.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_gas_law>
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideal_gas_law>

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi Peter,

First of all, great job trying to solve this problem using the principles of thermal physics! Your approach is generally correct, but there are a few things that could have led to the incorrect answer.

Firstly, in your initial equation, you have Q/600 on one side and the mass change and latent heat of vaporization on the other side. However, Q/600 represents the rate of heat transfer, not the total amount of heat transferred. So, instead of dividing the mass change by 600, you should divide by the time (600 seconds) to get the rate of change in mass. This will give you the correct equation:

Q/600 = (0.0463/600) x 1.99 x 10^5

Another potential issue is the units. In thermal physics, it is important to use consistent units throughout the problem. In this case, you should convert the mass change from grams to kilograms, so you would have 0.0463 kg instead of 46.3 g. This will give you the correct units for the final answer, which should be in watts (J/s).

Lastly, it is important to pay attention to the units of the final answer. In this case, you are trying to find the rate at which the surroundings are heating the beaker, which would be in watts. However, your final answer is currently in joules per second (J/s). To convert to watts, you need to divide your current answer by 600, since 600 seconds is the time interval you are considering. This will give you the final answer in watts.

I hope this helps clarify any confusion you had. Keep up the good work in your studies of thermal physics!

Best,

What is power in thermal physics?

Power in thermal physics refers to the rate at which energy is transferred or converted in a system. It is typically measured in watts (W) and is a measure of the rate of heat transfer or work done.

How is power related to temperature?

In thermal physics, power is related to temperature through the concept of thermal equilibrium. When two objects are in thermal equilibrium, their temperatures are equal and no heat transfer occurs. However, when there is a temperature difference, heat transfer occurs and power is involved in this transfer.

What is the difference between power and energy in thermal physics?

Power and energy are closely related but have different meanings in thermal physics. Energy refers to the total amount of work or heat in a system, while power is the rate at which energy is transferred or converted. In other words, energy is a measure of the total amount of work or heat, while power is a measure of how fast that energy is being transferred or converted.

How is power calculated in thermal physics?

Power can be calculated using the formula P = ΔQ/Δt, where P is power, ΔQ is the change in heat, and Δt is the change in time. Alternatively, power can also be calculated using the formula P = Fv, where P is power, F is the force applied, and v is the velocity at which the force is applied.

How is power used in practical applications of thermal physics?

Power is used in many practical applications of thermal physics, such as in heating and cooling systems, engines, and power plants. It is also used in everyday devices such as hair dryers, ovens, and refrigerators. Understanding power is crucial in designing and optimizing these systems for efficient energy transfer and conversion.