Practical book on relational databases with SQL

In summary, a practical book on relational databases with SQL is a comprehensive guide that covers the basics of SQL and its use in managing and querying relational databases. It covers topics such as data modelling, database design, and data manipulation using SQL commands. The book also includes practical examples and exercises to help readers apply their knowledge in real-world scenarios. It is a valuable resource for beginners and experienced professionals looking to improve their SQL skills and gain a deeper understanding of relational databases.
ZeGato
Hello,

I'm looking for a book on relational databases, that uses SQL, that is practical with lots of examples, and the least possible amount of jargon. Specifically, I have issues understanding how to translate the E/R model into the relational model (relations to tables), and the book that I have right now has lots of text but no structured examples to learn from.

Thank you for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
This may answer your ER model question:

https://www.tutorialspoint.com/dbms/er_model_to_relational_model.htm

There are other online references on this site too. O'reilly has some SQL books that are good references but won't necessarily teach you how to use it effectively or conceptually.

Other onlines are:

https://www.google.com/search?newwi...3i10j0i13i30j0i22i10i30j0i8i13i30.CwSQl7e2X_w

There H2Database.com which is a java based database as a single jar file that can do a lot of SQL commands for experimentation.

http://h2database.com/html/main.html

It has a command line or web based access. It can run standalone of connected to an application with other apps accessing it via JDBC api. And is quite cool.

Likes ZeGato
ZeGato said:
Hello,

I'm looking for a book on relational databases, that uses SQL, that is practical with lots of examples, and the least possible amount of jargon. Specifically, I have issues understanding how to translate the E/R model into the relational model (relations to tables), and the book that I have right now has lots of text but no structured examples to learn from.

Thank you for any help!

Can I steer you away from this mentality? You want the best, most accurate database model possible so that it works the way you expect. And it needs to be laid out the right way or you could run into problems later when you do more complicated stuff. So I agree with the authors who write about the theory because it's only when you know the theory that you will understand what is good and what is bad. Otherwise you will have a recipe to follow without understanding it and that is no good, IMHO.

Likes ZeGato

What is a relational database?

A relational database is a type of database that stores and organizes data in tables, with relationships between the tables. It uses a structured query language (SQL) to manipulate and retrieve data.

Why is SQL important for managing relational databases?

SQL allows users to efficiently manipulate and retrieve data from relational databases. It is a standardized language that is widely used across different database management systems, making it an essential tool for managing relational databases.

What are the key components of a practical book on relational databases with SQL?

A practical book on relational databases with SQL should cover the basics of databases and SQL, including data modeling, database design, and SQL syntax. It should also include practical examples and exercises to help readers practice and apply their skills.

How can a practical book on relational databases with SQL benefit beginners?

A practical book on relational databases with SQL can provide beginners with a strong foundation in database concepts and SQL, allowing them to understand the principles of data management and how to use SQL to retrieve and manipulate data. It can also provide hands-on experience and practical skills that are valuable in various industries.

What are some common challenges when working with relational databases and SQL?

Some common challenges when working with relational databases and SQL include understanding complex data relationships, optimizing database performance, and troubleshooting errors in SQL syntax. It is important to have a solid understanding of database design principles and SQL to overcome these challenges.