Predict the results of the following

• Thread starter lioric
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses predicting the results of two reactions involving acidified potassium iodate(V) solution and zinc metal in dilute sulphuric acid. The use of standard electrode potentials and the reactivity series is suggested as a way to explain the reactions. Additional resources, such as recent notes and textbooks, are recommended for further understanding.
lioric

Homework Statement

Predict the results of the following and explain them with the help of standard electrode potentials
a) Acidified potassium iodate(V) solution is added to potassium iodide solution
b)Zinc metal is added to solution of dilute sulphuric acid

Homework Equations

Writing half equations for the reactions. But i actually don't know the result of the addition

The Attempt at a Solution

All i know is that i have to think about the reactivity series and think that something would displace something. But i actually cannot get the hang of the subject yet. please some ome explain this to me

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the purpose of predicting results in scientific experiments?

Predicting results in scientific experiments allows researchers to make informed hypotheses and design experiments to test those hypotheses. It also helps to anticipate potential outcomes and plan for any unexpected results.

2. How accurate are predictions in scientific experiments?

The accuracy of predictions in scientific experiments can vary depending on the complexity of the experiment and the precision of the data collected. However, with careful planning and controlled conditions, predictions can be highly accurate and reliable.

3. What factors should be considered when predicting results in scientific experiments?

Some important factors to consider when predicting results in scientific experiments include the quality and quantity of data, the validity and reliability of the experimental design, and any potential confounding variables that may affect the results.

4. Can predictions in scientific experiments be proven correct or incorrect?

Predictions in scientific experiments are not necessarily proven correct or incorrect, but rather supported or refuted by the data collected. This is because scientific knowledge is constantly evolving and new evidence may challenge previous predictions.

5. How can the results of a scientific experiment be used to make future predictions?

The results of a scientific experiment can be used to make future predictions by providing evidence and support for a particular hypothesis. This can lead to further research and experimentation to refine and improve the accuracy of predictions in the future.