Predicting absolute configuration of molecules

In summary: It is impossible to determine the direction a molecule will rotate plane-polarized light but it is possible to determine chirality since there are rules for that.
silimay
I have a question about something that has been bothering me for a while...

In all of my chemistry classes, my professors have always told me that it is impossible to predict which way a chiral molecule will rotate plane-polarized light (i.e., you will see if a molecule is D or L, but, saying you know it's structure, you have no way to tell whether it is R or S). I understand that the R/S configuration is arbitrary, just a way of naming things, but I was wondering if it is actually possible (via computer modeling or something similar) to look at a given chiral molecule's structure and predict its chirality. It seems strange to me that we have no way of knowing this other than experimentation.

Thanks very much for any information in advance :) Sorry if this is very random :)

-Mary-

Chemistry news on Phys.org
silimay said:

In all of my chemistry classes, my professors have always told me that it is impossible to predict which way a chiral molecule will rotate plane-polarized light (i.e., you will see if a molecule is D or L, but, saying you know it's structure, you have no way to tell whether it is R or S). I understand that the R/S configuration is arbitrary, just a way of naming things, but I was wondering if it is actually possible (via computer modeling or something similar) to look at a given chiral molecule's structure and predict its chirality. It seems strange to me that we have no way of knowing this other than experimentation.

Thanks very much for any information in advance :) Sorry if this is very random :)

-Mary-

It's been a while since I came across the notations of " D " and " L " , however , from what I recall , you can denote the R and S character of a chiral center once you know the substituents as well as the 3D structure around this chiral center.

It's been a while so perhaps what I claimed doesn't make sense. I remember from my college years , a biology lecture which asked why all biological proteins have one chiral compatability , it turns out that this question had not been resolved.

silimay said:

-Mary-

It is impossible to determine the direction a molecule will rotate plane-polarized light but it is possible to determine chirality since there are rules for that. Whether you are using the D/L nomenclature or the R/S, the rules are either based on a standard substance (glyceraldehyde for carbohydrates, for example) or are arbitrary in nature. The R/S nomenclature determines chirality based on the size or priority of groups attached to the chiral carbon. The D/L nomenclature is determined by the chiral carbon farthest from the aldehyde end of the molecule. If the chiral carbon farthest from the aldehyde end has a hydroxyl on the left side of it's Fischer projection, it's an "L" and if it is on the right, it's a "D".

Chemisttree,

I'm not doubting what you say, but is there a reason why predicting the 'direction a molecule will rotate plane-polarized light' is not possible? Not possible with today's body of theory, or not possible because of some fundamental principle?

I guess I'm curious as to why so much of chemistry is empirical, even today.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6THT-40TY6WN-2&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=44382dc2c1766d54fa3a51f2ca3decbb" I was referring to the D and L designation. "D" is not "d-" and "L" is not "l-". The origin of the symbols d- and l- were dexorotary and levorotary D-fructose is also known as levulose and rotates PP light to the left (or negative). So, it is impossible to determine the rotation direction and magnitude from just the information "D" and "L".

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of predicting the absolute configuration of molecules?

Predicting the absolute configuration of molecules is important for understanding their physical and chemical properties, as well as their behavior in different environments. It also helps in drug development, as the absolute configuration of a molecule can determine its biological activity and potential as a therapeutic agent.

2. How is the absolute configuration of a molecule predicted?

The absolute configuration of a molecule is predicted using various techniques such as X-ray crystallography, nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy, and computational methods. X-ray crystallography involves determining the positions of atoms in a crystal lattice, while NMR spectroscopy analyzes the interactions between atoms in a molecule. Computational methods use algorithms and computer simulations to predict the absolute configuration of a molecule based on its structure and properties.

3. What factors influence the absolute configuration of a molecule?

The absolute configuration of a molecule is influenced by the arrangement of its constituent atoms, the type and number of functional groups attached, and the presence of chiral centers. It can also be affected by the type of bonding, as well as external factors such as temperature and pressure.

4. How accurate are predictions of absolute configuration?

The accuracy of predictions of absolute configuration depends on the method used and the complexity of the molecule. X-ray crystallography and NMR spectroscopy are considered more reliable and accurate compared to computational methods, but they also require specialized equipment and expertise. Computational methods can provide fast and cost-effective predictions, but their accuracy may vary depending on the quality of the input data and the algorithms used.

5. Can the absolute configuration of a molecule be changed?

Yes, the absolute configuration of a molecule can be changed through chemical reactions or physical processes such as heat or light. Enantiomers, which have the same molecular formula but differ in absolute configuration, can also be interconverted through these processes. However, the overall structure and properties of the molecule may be altered in the process.