Predicting Vibrational Frequency of D2 from H2

• Thread starter terp.asessed
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hydrogen
In summary, the conversation discusses predicting the vibrational frequency of D2 from H2, considering the difference in mass between the two molecules. The relationship between the reduced mass and vibrational frequency is mentioned, with the formula being vibrational frequency = (k/μ)½/(2πc). The importance of understanding quantum mechanics in this topic is also highlighted.
terp.asessed

Homework Statement

I am wondering, is it possible to predict the vibrational frequency of D2 from H2, supposing vibrational frequency of H2 is 4400cm-1?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

From what I know, H2 has two H's, meaning 2 protons and 2 electrons, whereas D2 has 2 protons, 2 electrons AND 2 neutrons. So, is the mass the main factor here? If so, how do I 'predict' the vibrational frequency of D2? Will it be reduced to 1/2 or increased twice that of H2? Any hint would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you look up the vibrational modes of hydrogen and duterium molecules and see what actually happens?
Then you will have the basic yes/no answer to the questions you posed above.

Notes:
atomic hydrogen is a bound state of a proton an an electron.
a deuteron is a bound state of a proton and a neutron

A hydrogen molecule is a a pair of covalently bonded hydrogen atoms
A deuterium molecule D2 is a pair of covalently bonded deuterium atoms.
So you want to know about the molecules.

4400cm-1 is not a frequency. Frequency has units of inverse-time.

You could start out by modelling each molecules as a mass on each end of a spring.
What happens if you keep the spring constant and length the same, but double the masses?

How could you refine the model to better approximate the atomic systems?
What assumptions are you making?

However - the vibrational modes are usually understood in terms of quantum mechanics.
Where are you at in your education?

Likes terp.asessed
Wait, come to think of it, 4400cm-1 is rather a wavelength, NOT frequency (s-1)! Thank you for correcting me.

Aside, even if the "k" and length are SAME, since both masses have doubled, wouldn't the center of mass still be the same?

Also, you're right--I am currently onto Quantum Mechanics section.

terp.asessed said:
Wait, come to think of it, 4400cm-1 is rather a wavelength, NOT frequency (s-1)! Thank you for correcting me.
Actually, it is the inverse of a wavelength, and is called "wavenumbers". And while it may seem improper to the ears of Simon, it is normal usage among spectroscopists to use cm-1 to express frequencies or energies, you simply need to multiply by ##c## or ##hc##.

terp.asessed said:
Aside, even if the "k" and length are SAME, since both masses have doubled, wouldn't the center of mass still be the same?
You should say "assuming that ##k## and the bond length are the same," as they are the same only to a first-order approximation. The center of mass of two identical atoms will always be midway between them, but the reduced mass will change. Do you know the relation between the reduced mass and the vibrational frequency?

Likes terp.asessed
DrClaude said:
Do you know the relation between the reduced mass and the vibrational frequency?

I've learned that reduced mass = μ = m1m2/(m1 + m2)...so, if the mass of both atoms in a molecule goes UP, then, the reduced mass of the molecule will increase. But, I never thought there was a relationship between reduced mass and vibrational frequency? I thought they were not related?

terp.asessed said:
I've learned that reduced mass = μ = m1m2/(m1 + m2)...so, if the mass of both atoms in a molecule goes UP, then, the reduced mass of the molecule will increase. But, I never thought there was a relationship between reduced mass and vibrational frequency? I thought they were not related?
I would be surprised that you were given that exercise without having seen that relation. You should probably review your textbook/notes.

Wait, I think I remembered--is it: vibrational frequency = (k/μ)½/(2πc)?

Related to Predicting Vibrational Frequency of D2 from H2

1. How is the vibrational frequency of D2 predicted from H2?

The vibrational frequency of D2 can be predicted using the harmonic oscillator model, which assumes that the bond between the two deuterium atoms acts like a spring. This model takes into account the masses of the atoms and the strength of the bond to calculate the frequency of the vibrational motion.

2. What factors affect the vibrational frequency of D2?

The main factors that affect the vibrational frequency of D2 are the masses of the atoms and the strength of the bond between them. Other factors such as temperature and pressure can also have an impact on the vibrational frequency.

3. How is the strength of the bond between the deuterium atoms determined?

The strength of the bond between the deuterium atoms is determined by the bond dissociation energy, which is the amount of energy required to break the bond and separate the atoms. This value can be experimentally measured or calculated using theoretical methods.

4. Can the vibrational frequency of D2 be accurately predicted?

Yes, the vibrational frequency of D2 can be accurately predicted using the harmonic oscillator model. However, experimental results may vary slightly due to other factors such as quantum effects and environmental conditions.

5. How is the predicted vibrational frequency of D2 compared to experimental results?

The predicted vibrational frequency of D2 can be compared to experimental results by using spectroscopic techniques such as infrared spectroscopy. The predicted frequency should match the observed frequency within a small margin of error, providing validation for the theoretical model used.