Prep for Algebra Comprehensive Exam #1

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's preparation for an Algebra comprehensive exam and their plan to post their solutions for feedback. The conversation also includes a discussion on proving that the inverse image of an ideal under a ring homomorphism is an ideal containing the kernel of the homomorphism. There is also a hint given for a proof involving ring homomorphisms and ideals.
BSMSMSTMSPHD
I am currently studying for my Algebra comprehensive exam which will be given at the end of August. As part of my materials, I have several old exams, minus the answers. I would like to post my solutions here to see if they are accurate.

I am posting here rather than in the homework section, because this is not homework, and I don't want to take attention away from those people asking real homework questions. That being said, if you do see a mistake in my work, please do not give me the solution. All constructive comments are welcome. Thanks!

1. Let [tex]f:R \rightarrow S[/tex] be a ring homomorphism, let [tex]I[/tex] be an ideal in [tex]R[/tex], and [tex]J[/tex] be an ideal in [tex]S[/tex].

a. Show that the inverse image [tex]f^{-1}(J)[/tex] is an ideal of [tex]R[/tex] that contains the kernal of [tex]f[/tex].

b. Prove that if [tex]f[/tex] is surjective, then [tex]f(I)[/tex] is an ideal in S. Give an example showing that if [tex]f[/tex] is not surjective then [tex]f(I)[/tex] need not be an ideal in [tex]S[/tex].

SOLUTION

a. I will show that [tex]f^{-1}(J)[/tex] is nonempty, closed under subtraction and multiplication (making it a subring of [tex]R[/tex]), and absorbs products from [tex]R[/tex].

Since [tex]0 \in J[/tex] and [tex]f(0) = 0[/tex], (since [tex]f[/tex] is a ring homomorphism), [tex]f^{-1}(J)[/tex] is nonempty.

Suppose [tex]x,y \in f^{-1}(J)[/tex]. Then [tex]f(x) \in J[/tex] and [tex]f(y) \in J[/tex]. Then, [tex]f(x - y) = f(x) - f(y)[/tex] (since [tex]f[/tex] is a ring homomorphism). And, [tex]f(x) - f(y) \in J[/tex] (since [tex]J[/tex] is an ideal, and therefore closed under subtraction).

Likewise, [tex]f(xy) = f(x)f(y) \in J[/tex].

Finally, for any [tex]r \in R[/tex], [tex]f(rx) = f(r)f(x) \in J[/tex] (since [tex]J[/tex] is an ideal, [tex]f(r) \in S[/tex], [tex]f(x) \in J[/tex]).

Thus, we have established that [tex]f^{-1}(J)[/tex] is an ideal of [tex]R[/tex]. To see that it contains the kernal of [tex]f[/tex], let [tex]k \in ker(f)[/tex]. Then [tex]f(k) = 0 \in J[/tex]. So, [tex]ker(f) \subseteq f^{-1}(J)[/tex].

b. Similarly to part a, I will show that [tex]f(I)[/tex] is nonempty, closed under subtraction and multiplication, and absorbs products from [tex]S[/tex].

Since [tex]I[/tex] is an ideal, [tex]0 \in I[/tex]. Since [tex]f[/tex] is a ring homomorphism, [tex]f(0) = 0 \in S[/tex]. So, [tex]f(I)[/tex] is nonempty.

Suppose [tex]x,y \in f(I)[/tex]. Then there exist [tex]a,b \in I[/tex] such that [tex]f(a) = x[/tex] and [tex]f(b) = y[/tex]. Then, [tex]x - y = f(a) - f(b) = f(a - b)[/tex] (since [tex]f[/tex] is a ring homomorphism). And, [tex]f(a - b) \in f(I)[/tex] (since [tex]I[/tex] is an ideal, and therefore closed under subtraction).

Likewise, [tex]xy = f(ab) = f(a)f(b) \in f(I)[/tex].

Finally, suppose [tex]s \in S[/tex]. Since [tex]f[/tex] is surjective, there exists [tex]r \in R[/tex] such that [tex]f(r) = s[/tex]. Then, [tex]sx = f(r)f(a) = f(ra) \in f(I)[/tex] (since [tex]I[/tex] is an ideal, [tex]r \in R[/tex], [tex]a \in I[/tex]).

Thus, we have established that [tex]f(I)[/tex] is an ideal of [tex]S[/tex]. To show that the surjectivity of [tex]f[/tex] is required, consider the identity map [tex]f: \mathbb{Z} \rightarrow \mathbb{Q}[/tex], which is clearly not surjective. [tex]n \mathbb{Z}[/tex] is an ideal of [tex]\mathbb{Z}[/tex] for any [tex]n \in \mathbb{Z}[/tex], but [tex]f(n \mathbb{Z}) = n \mathbb{Z}[/tex] is not an ideal of [tex]\mathbb{Q}[/tex] (being a field, [tex]\mathbb{Q}[/tex] has no properly contained ideals).

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you should use this definition of ideal: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideal_(ring_theory)since it's more common. This also means you don't have to show closure under multiplication. Everything else looks fine, I didn't notice anything off. Goodluck.

Last edited:
If it absorbs products from the ring, then it's automatically closed under multiplication, so even using the OP's definition, proving explicitly that the sets are closed under multiplication is redundant.

Also, the word is kernel. :wink:

Thanks you both for your responses. I agree that I was redundant, and I will look for this in later proofs. As for the misspelling of kernel - well, I have no excuse for that!

I will post new questions/solutions under different headings (#2, #3, etc.)

Here is a major hint on (b).

Theorem: Given [tex]f:R\to S[/tex] be a ring homomorphism. And [tex]I\triangleleft R[/tex] then [tex]f\triangleleft f[/tex]. Now if [tex]f[/tex] is surjective then [tex]f=S[/tex]. Complete this proof.

In your class, rings are not required to have a unit?

No they aren't. But I've seen books with both defenitions. We're using Dummit & Foote (3rd Edition).

What is the format of the Algebra Comprehensive Exam?

The Algebra Comprehensive Exam typically consists of multiple-choice questions, short answer questions, and problem-solving questions.

What topics are covered on the Algebra Comprehensive Exam?

The exam covers a variety of topics including algebraic expressions, equations, functions, inequalities, and graphing. It also includes basic operations with polynomials, factoring, and solving systems of equations.

How long is the Algebra Comprehensive Exam?

The length of the exam can vary, but it typically takes around 1-2 hours to complete.

What is the best way to prepare for the Algebra Comprehensive Exam?

The best way to prepare for the exam is to review class notes, practice problems, and sample exams. It is also helpful to work with a tutor or study group to reinforce understanding of the material.

Are calculators allowed on the Algebra Comprehensive Exam?

It depends on the specific exam and the instructions given. Some exams may allow a basic calculator, while others may not allow any calculators at all. It is important to check with the instructor or exam guidelines beforehand.