Preparing for Physics GRE: Scoring, Timing, and Review Material

In summary, it is recommended to take the GRE in April of your senior year, with a second attempt in October if needed. The GRE deducts -.25 points for every wrong answer but leaving an answer blank does not result in a deduction. It is not recommended to study from traditional textbooks for the GRE, but to focus on practicing with digitized old practice tests and identifying areas to improve. The recommended physics textbooks for GRE preparation are Halliday and Resnick's extended edition and Beiser's modern physics text.
mcah5
It's time for me to start studying for those dastardly standardized exams and I had a couple of questions.

1) Scoring: Does the GRE take away points for wrong answers?

2) When should I take it: I was told that most students take it April of their junior year and a second time October of their senior year. If I won't have enough time to study by April (summer is almost over), is it best to just take it once in October?

3) Review material: My college enjoys using archaic and obtuse textbooks, which are very indepth but seemingly useless in studying for the GRE. Right now I'm using Feynman's Lectures to study, but I realized that the material covered in the GRE and in Feynman is dissimilar. Any reccomendations for a textbook that covers physics on the level of the GRE?

Physics news on Phys.org
mcah5 said:
1) Scoring: Does the GRE take away points for wrong answers?

Yes, -.25 for every wrong answer. If you leave the answer blank, you are not deducted anything.

2) When should I take it: I was told that most students take it April of their junior year and a second time October of their senior year. If I won't have enough time to study by April (summer is almost over), is it best to just take it once in October?

This is definitely NOT the case, most students take the test in their senior year only. It is a good idea to take the test in April, however. The two main reasons:

1. The people taking it are typically taking it for the first time. Hence, your percentile score will not be as brutal.

2. If you mess up, you have a second chance before applying.

3) Review material: My college enjoys using archaic and obtuse textbooks, which are very indepth but seemingly useless in studying for the GRE. Right now I'm using Feynman's Lectures to study, but I realized that the material covered in the GRE and in Feynman is dissimilar. Any reccomendations for a textbook that covers physics on the level of the GRE?

Do not study your physics book to study for the GRE. The kinds of questions asked in textbooks are much different from the kinds that are asked on the GRE test.

Find the digitized versions of old practice tests and study those. Take the first practice test or two with full references (Internet, textbooks), and identify what you need to brush up on. Then, take a practice test real-time and see how well you do. I found that this worked very well for me.

Note: Avoid the practice book produced by REA (the purple one). It is pretty terrible, and the questions in that book are not at all like the ones you'll encounter on the GRE.

Good luck!

Hi mcah5, I've posted my thoughts on the physics GRE here:

http://fliptomato.wordpress.com/2006/09/13/the-physics-gre-a-guide-for-undergrads/"

Hope that helps!

The quick answers:
If you can afford to take the exam in April (as well as in October if need be), I strongly recommend it. At best you can take advantage of the apparently nicer curve. At worst you get some valuable experience and practice.

In terms of books, I wouldn't recommend reading books as the focus of your studying (see the link above). Instead, start from the 4 practice exams floating around (try www.physicsgre.com for a forum where people discuss where to find them) and study the questions that you get wrong. The physics GRE is too broad to study without knowing what exactly you're studying for. That being said, I think Halliday and Resnick (the extended edition) is a great resource that's just about at the level of the exam. Beiser's modern physics text was also helpful for me.

F.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Preparing for Physics GRE: Scoring, Timing, and Review Material

1. What is the scoring system for the Physics GRE?

The Physics GRE is scored on a scale of 200-990, with 200 being the lowest possible score and 990 being the highest. The average score for test takers is around 700. The score is based on the number of questions answered correctly, with no penalty for incorrect answers.

2. How much time do I have to complete the Physics GRE?

The Physics GRE has a total testing time of 2 hours and 50 minutes. This includes a 10-minute break in the middle. There are 100 multiple-choice questions to be completed within this time frame.

3. What kind of materials should I use to prepare for the Physics GRE?

There are various study materials available for the Physics GRE, including practice tests, study guides, and online resources. It is recommended to use a combination of these materials to prepare for the exam. Make sure to choose materials that are specifically designed for the Physics GRE and cover all the necessary topics.

4. Is it necessary to review all topics in physics for the Physics GRE?

Yes, it is important to have a thorough understanding of all topics in physics for the Physics GRE. The exam covers a wide range of topics, including mechanics, electricity and magnetism, quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, and more. It is important to review all topics to ensure a comprehensive understanding of the material.

5. How can I improve my score on the Physics GRE?

To improve your score on the Physics GRE, it is important to practice regularly and become familiar with the exam format and types of questions asked. You can also review your weaknesses and focus on improving in those areas. Additionally, seeking guidance from a tutor or joining a study group can also be helpful in improving your score.