1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure and density in swimming.

1. Oct 22, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The human lungs can function satisfactorily up to a limit where the pressure difference between the outside and inside of the lungs is 1/21 of an atmosphere. If a diver uses a snorkel for breathing, how far below the water can she swim? Assume the diver is in salt water whose density is 1042 kg/m3.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think pgh, where p is density, g is gravitational acceleration, and h would be the height. I think the height would tell you how far the swimmer could go below water. I'm honestly not exactly sure where to start this one!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2011 #2
    That pressure has to be equal to 1/21 atm right? Remember the units are going to be different and account for that.

4. Oct 23, 2011 #3
    I converted the 1/21 atm to 4824 Pascals. I am still not sure how to find the height below the water the swimmer can go though?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook