Physics & Chemistry: Pressure & Force Exam Prep

In summary: That means that if you want to detect the FM signal, you have to put the antenna in the direction of the magnetic field. In summary, the magnetic field causes the FM signal to be detected in a certain direction.
itsascience
Hello, I am studying for an exam that I am taking in January, and I am doing practice problems. I have not taken physics in over 2.5 years... and I don't remember half of it pretty much. I'm trying to learn it again as I practice.

Homework Statement

Here is the problem:
There is a 1 cubic meter container filled with 4 gases: He, O2, CO2, N2. There are equal molar quantities of all 4 gases, and are assumed to be ideal. The pressure inside is 1 atm, or 10^5 Pa. The temperature is 25 degrees C.
What I want to know is, does the partial pressure of each gas increase at different rates? Or does the partial pressure of the gases increase at the same rate... If they are different, does it depend on the size of the gas molecule?
Actually, I'm not sure if this should be in physics section or in the chemistry section.

Homework Equations

Honestly I don't even know.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried reading about partial pressures, but could not find anything relevant :/

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "pressure increase rate"? What force is behind this pressure increase?

I suppose you mean something like "do all partial pressures go up at the same time if we heat the mixture?" If so the answer is yes, each gas behaves ideally independent of what other gases do.

Thank you Borek!
Yes that is what I meant.
The temperature was increased from 25C to 50C.

---

Now I'm up to a problem that deals with FM radio waves and the magnetic field generated by the waves... :/
I have to relate the direction of the magnetic field that accompanies the FM signal. I definitely did not learn this in my physics courses.
I know that FM radiowaves are electromagnetic, they have a certain frequency and an amplitude. But I do not know anything about the magnetic field caused by it... :(

---

Ok so I found out that the magnetic field is perpendicular to the radio wave.

Last edited:

1. What is pressure?

Pressure is the force applied per unit area of an object or substance. It is typically measured in units of pascals (Pa) or pounds per square inch (psi).

2. How is pressure related to force?

Pressure is directly proportional to force and inversely proportional to area. This means that as force increases, pressure also increases, while an increase in area will result in a decrease in pressure.

3. Can you give an example of how pressure and force are related?

One example is when you push down on a balloon. The force of your hand creates pressure on the surface of the balloon, causing it to expand and increase in volume.

4. How does pressure affect gases, liquids, and solids?

In gases, pressure is the force exerted by the gas molecules colliding with the walls of their container. In liquids, pressure is the force exerted by the weight of the liquid above a certain point. In solids, pressure is the force exerted by the weight of the object on its support surface.

5. How does pressure change with depth in a fluid?

In a fluid, pressure increases with depth due to the weight of the fluid above. This is known as hydrostatic pressure and is a result of the force of gravity acting on the fluid.