Pressure Calculations through Volume Differences

In summary, the conversation focused on the possibility of pressurizing water through the release of its hydrates. Theoretical calculations suggest that a volume difference can be created by forcing more water into a fixed volume container, but it is unclear how this would result in overall pressure. The experts also discussed the compressibility of water and its potential for being compressed to a higher density. However, it was concluded that for practical purposes, water cannot be compressed. Further research and clarification on the process of releasing waters of hydration is needed.
EthanSchrag
Recently I've been researching the pressurization of water through the releasing of the waters of hydration in hydrates. The goal is to create a volume difference inside a container of fixed volume, basically the volume of the contents should be greater than the volume of the container in order to create pressure. Mathematically this works out and theoretically you can get a volume of 113.21ml from 100ml of a hydrate. But i don't know what to do with these numbers. I want an overall pressure and I'm assuming you can get one from them but i don't know exactly how to calculate it (Is this kind of pressurization of water even possible?). Help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Is this kind of pressurization of water even possible?
You realize that the statement " volume difference inside a container of fixed volume" is a contradiction and " the volume of the contents should be greater than the volume of the container in order to create pressure" does not make sense.
... you seem to want to force more water into an existing volume than the volume can contain, ie. increasing the density of the contained water?
So the short answer is "no". Though the water may contain something else that is more compressible.
However, it could be that you are just not communicating clearly - can you provide a reference for the process you want to study?

Every form of matter has sub-atomic space that can be compressed to a greater density. Water is no exception but the pressure required would likely be greater than a fixed size container can structurally withstand. For all practical purposes water cannot be compressed.

Well, sending ultrasound through water is a practical enough purpose.
If water weren't compressible there would be no longitudinal sound waves in it.

The compressibility of water is much higher than that of steel or aluminum. However I never seen someone saying that steel cannot be compressed (even if only "for all practical purposes").
Why is water so special? :)

Not sure that "releasing waters of hydration" would be a useful method either... high pressure water is used in water cooled nuclear reactors where, one could argue, the water in the pipes would otherwise occupy a larger volume (as steam). I think we need details.

Also see ie.
http://water.usgs.gov/edu/compressibility.html

Related to Pressure Calculations through Volume Differences

1. What is the formula for calculating pressure using volume differences?

The formula for calculating pressure using volume differences is P = F/A, where P is pressure, F is force, and A is area.

2. How does changing the volume affect pressure?

According to Boyle's Law, when volume increases, pressure decreases, and vice versa, as long as temperature and number of particles remain constant.

3. Can pressure be calculated using only the volume of a gas?

No, pressure cannot be calculated using only the volume of a gas. Pressure is dependent on other factors such as temperature and number of particles.

4. How does pressure affect the behavior of gases?

Higher pressure can cause gases to become more compressed and decrease in volume, while lower pressure can cause gases to expand and increase in volume.

5. Is pressure the same throughout a container of gas?

No, pressure is not the same throughout a container of gas. Pressure can vary depending on the volume and temperature of the gas, as well as the shape and size of the container.