Calculating Air Pressure to Produce 200N of Force

In summary, the conversation discusses the pressure needed to produce 200N of force using an air compressor. The calculation is correct and it is equivalent to 1 bar or 14.5 PSI. However, the pressure reading on a gauge is already referenced to atmospheric pressure and thus does not do anything to the piston. To produce the desired force, the piston must be pushed to compress the air to 2 atm.
Kalus
Ok, this is a very basic question, but for some reason my head can't work out the last bit and its making me doubt the workings...

As the attached diagram shows, there is an air compressor attached to a piece of metal pipe that then has a piston on the end. The goal is to make this piston produce 200N of force. It has a radius of 25mm or 0.025 m, meaning an area of 1.96 x10^-3 m^2.

This means that if you use pressure= force/ area

pressure = 200/1.96 x10^-3
=101,859 Pa

This is almost equivilant to 1bar, which is around 14.5 PSI.

Does this mean that to produce that force i need to have a compressor that will pump air to just over one atmosphere?

This is the bit that confuses me, because surely air is at atmospheric pressure already, so it should be exerting that pressure if i just didnt have a compressor at all and left the tube pointing up open topped?

So, is that calculation correct, and if so, what am i not understanding about the way atmospheric pressure works?

Many Thanks, Kalus.

Attachments

• pressure example.gif
    pressure example.gif
    7.9 KB · Views: 503
Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't check your math, but what you're missing is that the pressure you read on a gage is already referenced to atmospheric. 1 bar gage pressure is 2 bar absolute pressure. And atmospheric pressure doesn't do anything to the piston because it is equal everywhere, pushing it in and out at the same time, ending up doing nothing.

The piston has pressure = 1 atm on both sides, so the net force is near zero (as per above reply). If you push the pistion to compress the air to 2 atm, then the net force on the piston is 1 atm, or 200N.

1. How is air pressure calculated?

Air pressure is calculated by dividing the force applied to a certain area by the area itself. It is typically measured in units of Pascals (Pa) or pounds per square inch (psi).

2. What is the formula for calculating air pressure?

The formula for calculating air pressure is P = F/A, where P is the pressure in Pa or psi, F is the force in Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs), and A is the area in square meters (m^2) or square inches (in^2).

3. How can I produce 200N of force using air pressure?

To produce 200N of force using air pressure, you will need to apply the formula P = F/A. Rearrange the formula to solve for A, and then divide 200N by the calculated pressure to find the required area that needs to be pressurized.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of air pressure calculations?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of air pressure calculations, including temperature, altitude, and the compressibility of the air being used.

5. How can I ensure the air pressure is consistent and reliable for producing 200N of force?

To ensure that the air pressure is consistent and reliable for producing 200N of force, it is important to carefully measure and control the pressure, as well as the factors that can affect it. This may include using precise instruments, keeping the temperature and altitude constant, and using a consistent source of compressed air.