Pressure chambers?

• Thread starter GTdan
  • Start date
Well, I'm putting this here because I don't know where else to put this topic. I want to do a project for school that requires me to make a system where there is a difference in pressure between 2 "chambers." Does anyone know where I can buy or get something that will put out over 30 psi (and something I could carry or push in a small cart)?

Answers and Replies

No one writes when I am on so you are going to wait a while for a reply

brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A bike tyre pump will go to well over 30 psi.

What do you actually want to do with this project?

Well I would need some kind of chamber to keep the air in, not just the pump. The chamber would need a valve or some area where the air would rush out when it's opened or when the pressure gets too great (so I don't think using the tire itself to hold the pressure would work exactly- though I could be wrong).

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Some companies sell compressed air in appropriate tanks. Do not use pure oxygen since it can create a fire hazard if use near fire and fuel or other flammable materials.

brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What do you actually want to do with this?

There are hundreds of applications using compressors to create pressure differences between two chambers, all doing very different jobs.

I would like to shoot a ping pong ball VERY fast. Currently the way it's working is simply creating vacuum "inside" the pipe where the ball is. It works pretty well but I wanted to improve on it and make it go faster.

Do you think buying a tank of compressed air would be better? Could I fill it back up? Because if the project doesn't get the ball going as fast the first time around, I would like to try again without having to buy another one.