Pressure Chambers Project: 30+ PSI for School

• Thread starter GTdan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, a bike tyre pump can go to well over 30 psi, and you could refill a tank to use again if you don't get the result you want the first time.
GTdan
Well, I'm putting this here because I don't know where else to put this topic. I want to do a project for school that requires me to make a system where there is a difference in pressure between 2 "chambers." Does anyone know where I can buy or get something that will put out over 30 psi (and something I could carry or push in a small cart)?

Physics news on Phys.org
No one writes when I am on so you are going to wait a while for a reply

A bike tyre pump will go to well over 30 psi.

What do you actually want to do with this project?

Well I would need some kind of chamber to keep the air in, not just the pump. The chamber would need a valve or some area where the air would rush out when it's opened or when the pressure gets too great (so I don't think using the tire itself to hold the pressure would work exactly- though I could be wrong).

Some companies sell compressed air in appropriate tanks. Do not use pure oxygen since it can create a fire hazard if use near fire and fuel or other flammable materials.

What do you actually want to do with this?

There are hundreds of applications using compressors to create pressure differences between two chambers, all doing very different jobs.

I would like to shoot a ping pong ball VERY fast. Currently the way it's working is simply creating vacuum "inside" the pipe where the ball is. It works pretty well but I wanted to improve on it and make it go faster.

Do you think buying a tank of compressed air would be better? Could I fill it back up? Because if the project doesn't get the ball going as fast the first time around, I would like to try again without having to buy another one.

1. What is the purpose of the "Pressure Chambers Project"?

The purpose of the "Pressure Chambers Project" is to design and build a pressure chamber that can reach pressures of 30+ PSI for use in a school setting. This project allows students to learn about the principles of pressure and pressure vessels, as well as develop hands-on skills in engineering and problem-solving.

2. What materials are needed for the "Pressure Chambers Project"?

The materials needed for the project may vary depending on the specific design, but some common materials include PVC pipes, a pressure gauge, valves, and a compressor. It is important to carefully research and select materials that can safely withstand high pressures.

3. How does the pressure chamber work?

The pressure chamber works by using a compressor to pump air into the chamber, increasing the pressure inside. The pressure gauge can measure the amount of pressure inside the chamber. When the desired pressure is reached, the valve can be used to release the pressure or keep it contained for experiments.

4. Are there any safety precautions to consider when working with a pressure chamber?

Yes, it is important to follow all safety precautions when working with a pressure chamber. This includes wearing appropriate protective gear, such as safety glasses, and ensuring that the materials used can safely withstand high pressures. It is also important to have a pressure release valve to prevent the chamber from reaching dangerous levels of pressure.

5. Can the "Pressure Chambers Project" be modified for other uses?

Yes, the project can be modified for other uses, such as creating a vacuum chamber or for testing the pressure resistance of different materials. However, it is important to carefully research and understand the principles of pressure and safety precautions before making any modifications to the project.