Pressure formula and infinitesimal

In summary, the conversation discusses the simple pressure formula in classical physics and its relationship to calculus and infinitesimals. The formula is defined as P=\frac{dF_{\perp }}{dS}, where dF_{\perp } represents an infinitesimal change in force and dS represents an infinitesimal change in area. The conversation also addresses the concept of pressure being constant and how it relates to the force decreasing as the surface decreases. It is explained that pressure is force per area, and the total force is obtained by integrating the pressure over the surface.
Aleoa
I'm studing classical physics and I'm stuck with the simple pressure formula defined as:

[tex]P=\frac{dF_{\perp }}{dS}[/tex]

Now, i know some calculus and the concept of infinitesimal in physics; however what i don't understand is :

1) according with the fact that in Calculus [tex]dF_{\perp }[/tex] represent an infinitesimal change, it's an infinitesimal change from which quantity ?

2) If we obtain a constant value for the pressure, this means that the [tex]dF_{\perp }[/tex] decreases as i take smaller dS (according with the definition of limit ) . Why the force decreases as the surface decreases ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Aleoa said:
1) according with the fact that in Calculus [tex]dF_{\perp }[/tex] represent an infinitesimal change, it's an infinitesimal change from which quantity ?

It is the change in the force if you change the area.
2) If we obtain a constant value for the pressure, this means that the [tex]dF_{\perp }[/tex] decreases as i take smaller dS (according with the definition of limit ) . Why the force decreases as the surface decreases ?
Because you have assumed constant pressure. Pressure is force per area. If you have the same pressure but double the area, the force will be twice as large.

Likes Aleoa
But the force is defined point to point ?

No, it is the total force. You integrate the pressure over the surface to obtain the total force.

1. What is the formula for pressure?

The formula for pressure is pressure = force/area, or P = F/A. Pressure is measured in units of Pascals (Pa) or Newtons per square meter (N/m2).

2. How is pressure related to force and area?

Pressure is directly proportional to force and inversely proportional to area. This means that as force increases, pressure also increases and as area increases, pressure decreases.

3. What is an infinitesimal change?

An infinitesimal change is a very small change or difference, approaching zero. In the context of pressure, it refers to a change in pressure that is infinitely small.

4. How is infinitesimal change related to pressure?

Infinitesimal changes in pressure can be calculated using calculus and the derivative of the pressure formula. It allows for the calculation of pressure at a specific point, rather than an average pressure over a larger area.

5. Can infinitesimal changes in pressure be measured?

No, infinitesimal changes in pressure cannot be measured directly. They are theoretical concepts used in mathematical calculations to better understand and model pressure changes in real-world scenarios.