Which Liquid Exerts the Greatest Pressure at the Base of a Cylinder?

• Thread starter Herwin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, the question is asking which of the given liquids, with varying height, density, and area, will exert the greatest pressure on the base container. This is determined by the pressure equation for fluids at a given depth. In order to receive help according to the Rules of PF, the poster must show an attempt at solution.
Herwin
Which of the following liquids exerts the greatest pressure on the base container?
Height; Density; Area of Base
A.10cm 1000kg m^-3 20cm^2
B.10cm 1500kg m^-3 20cm^2
C.20cm 1800km m^-3 12cm^2
D.20cm. 1600kg m^-3 7cm^2
The liquid is contained in a cylinder.
Please answer with explanation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Herwin, it's up to you to solve this problem. Those are the Rules at PF.

My apologise, I don't understand what do you mean by its up to me to solve these problems. Because there are different variations of their respective height,density, and area. I think there must be an specific answer for this question because it's a question from my test which is either a b c or d

Herwin said:
My apologise, I don't understand what do you mean by its up to me to solve these problems.

This is plain English. What it says it what it means.

According to the Rules of PF (you did read those, didn't you?), posters to the HW forums must show an attempt at solution in order to receive help.

Because there are different variations of their respective height,density, and area. I think there must be an specific answer for this question because it's a question from my test which is either a b c or d

If you have studied what determines the pressure in a fluid at a given depth, then the answer to this question is quite simple to determine.

The only thing simpler is writing your name on the test paper. :wink:

If you had used the required homework template, you would have been prompted for an equation that might apply to your problem. What equation might that be?

Chet

FAQ: Which Liquid Exerts the Greatest Pressure at the Base of a Cylinder?

1. What is liquid pressure?

Liquid pressure is the force exerted by a liquid on the walls of its container or any object placed within the liquid. It is a result of the weight of the liquid pushing down on the surface below it.

2. How is liquid pressure calculated?

Liquid pressure is calculated using the formula P = ρgh, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density of the liquid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the liquid column.

3. What factors affect liquid pressure?

The factors that affect liquid pressure include the depth of the liquid, the density of the liquid, and the gravitational force acting on the liquid.

4. How does liquid pressure change with depth?

As the depth of a liquid increases, the liquid pressure also increases. This is because the weight of the liquid above increases, and therefore the force pushing down on the bottom also increases.

5. What are some real-life applications of liquid pressure?

Liquid pressure has various real-life applications, such as in hydraulic systems, where it is used to transfer force and energy. It is also used in scuba diving, where the pressure of the water increases with depth, and in water tanks for buildings, where pressure is used to distribute water to different floors.

Back