1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure of a lightbulb

1. Sep 7, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose a gas-filled incandescent light bulb is manufactured so that the gas inside the bulb is at atmospheric pressure when the bulb has a temperature of 20.0 °C. Find the gauge pressure inside such a bulb when it is hot, assuming its average hot temperature is 65.0 °C.

2. Relevant equations

(p/t)=(p'/t') where the left hand side is initial pressure and temperature, the right is the when hot.

t= 293.15 K
    t'=338.15 K

the gas inside is at atmospheric pressure.

3. The attempt at a solution

1atm= 1.013x^5 Pa

i use the formula above, and solve for p'

p' = (pt')/t

p'=(1.013x10^5)(338.15)/(293.15) (Pa*K)/(K) (the right stuff are the units of measurement used)

116850.0597 Pa.

However, I am not getting the answer. I never took a chemistry class, so I am unsure what the difference between gauge pressure/ atmospheric/ absolute pressure is and how to convert it.

I believe my formula is correct but I am not using the correct pressure values.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2015 #2
    Google "gauge pressure."

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted