Calculating Pressure from Falling Sand Shower

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of pressure exerted by falling grains of sand on a sticky surface. The solution involves finding the force due to one grain and multiplying it by the total number of grains, then dividing by the surface area. It is noted that the area can be 1m^2 or 1cm^2 to find the force.
JSmith123

Homework Statement

Grains of sand of mass 3.10 10-3 g each, fall from a height of 0.8 m on a sticky surface at a rate of 50 grains per second per cm^2. What pressure does this shower of sand exert on the surface, assuming that air resistance can be neglected?

Homework Equations

P=F/A
F=ma=mv d/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

So I understand I have to calculate the velocity and multiply that by the mass and number of grains. What I don't understand is the area. What is the area? Any help would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
use F = dP/dt to find force due to 1 grain ... multiply with total number of grains ... and then divide the area on which this total force is acting ... you get pressure

cupid.callin said:
use F = dP/dt to find force due to 1 grain ... multiply with total number of grains ... and then divide the area on which this total force is acting ... you get pressure

I see, but what is the area?

from P = F/A you can see that P=F when area is 1m^2

and you can also find force in 1cm^2

so its easy to find force in 1m^2 also, right?

Oh jeez the area is just 1m^2? I can't believe I didn't notice that. Anyways, thanks for the help.

1. What causes the pressure in falling sand?

The pressure in falling sand is caused by the weight of the sand particles as they move downward due to gravity. As more and more particles accumulate, the weight and pressure increase.

2. How is the pressure of falling sand measured?

The pressure of falling sand can be measured using a variety of instruments such as pressure sensors or load cells. These instruments can provide accurate measurements of the force per unit area exerted by the falling sand.

3. How does the size and shape of sand particles affect the pressure?

The size and shape of sand particles can greatly affect the pressure of falling sand. Smaller particles tend to pack more tightly together, resulting in higher pressures, while larger particles may create more air pockets and lower pressures. The shape of the particles can also impact how they stack and settle, altering the pressure distribution.

4. What role does air play in the pressure of falling sand?

Air plays a significant role in the pressure of falling sand. As sand falls, it displaces the air around it, creating air pockets and reducing the overall pressure. However, as more sand accumulates, the air pockets are compressed, and the pressure increases.

5. How does the height of the sand column affect the pressure at the bottom?

The height of the sand column has a direct impact on the pressure at the bottom. As the sand falls, it gains kinetic energy and increases in speed, resulting in higher pressure at the bottom due to the greater force of impact. Additionally, a taller sand column means more sand particles and a greater weight, ultimately leading to higher pressure at the bottom.