Pressure on tyres of a vehicle question - Calculating weight

In summary, the pressure in the tyres of a vehicle is 280 kPa and the contact area of each tyre on the ground is 0.012m^2. Using the formula Force = Pressure x Area, the weight of the vehicle can be calculated by converting 280 kPa to 280,000 Pa and then calculating the force as 280,000 x 0.012 = 33,600N. This is the weight of one tyre, so it must be multiplied by 4 to get the total force of the vehicle on the ground. Therefore, the weight of the vehicle is 134,400N.
Molly1235

Homework Statement

The pressure in the tyres of a vehicle is 280 kPa. The contact area of each of the four tyres on the ground is 0.012m^2. Calculate the weight of the vehicle.

Homework Equations

Force = Pressure x Area

The Attempt at a Solution

280 kPa = 2800000 Pa

Force = 2800000 x 0.012 = 33,600N

Am I right in assuming that this is the weight of one tyre, so you have to multiply this by 4 to get the force of the whole vehicle on the ground??

I think I've gone completely wrong here so would be grateful for some help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Molly1235 said:

Homework Statement

The pressure in the tyres of a vehicle is 280 kPa. The contact area of each of the four tyres on the ground is 0.012m^2. Calculate the weight of the vehicle.

Homework Equations

Force = Pressure x Area

The Attempt at a Solution

280 kPa = 2800000 Pa

Force = 2800000 x 0.012 = 33,600N

Am I right in assuming that this is the weight of one tyre, so you have to multiply this by 4 to get the force of the whole vehicle on the ground??

I think I've gone completely wrong here so would be grateful for some help!

Double check your conversion of 280 kPa to Pa.

SteamKing said:
Double check your conversion of 280 kPa to Pa.

Oops - wouldn't it be 280,000 Pa?

Molly1235 said:

Yep!

Molly1235 said:
Oops - wouldn't it be 280,000 Pa?

That looks better! :smile:

I like Serena said:
Yep!

That looks better! :smile:

So my method was correct??

Molly1235 said:
So my method was correct??

Yes.

I like Serena said:
Yes.

Yay! Thank you very much!

Likes 1 person

1) What is the formula for calculating the weight on tyres of a vehicle?

The formula for calculating the weight on tyres of a vehicle is weight = pressure x area, where pressure is the air pressure in the tyre and area is the contact area of the tyre on the ground.

2) How does air pressure affect the weight on tyres of a vehicle?

The air pressure in a tyre directly affects the weight on the tyre. As air pressure increases, the contact area of the tyre on the ground decreases, resulting in a higher weight on the tyre. Conversely, as air pressure decreases, the contact area increases, resulting in a lower weight on the tyre.

3) How do I determine the correct air pressure for my vehicle's tyres?

The correct air pressure for a vehicle's tyres can typically be found in the owner's manual or on a sticker located on the driver's side door jamb. It is important to follow the manufacturer's recommended air pressure for optimal performance and safety.

4) How does the weight on tyres affect a vehicle's handling and fuel efficiency?

The weight on tyres can greatly impact a vehicle's handling and fuel efficiency. An under-inflated tyre can result in decreased fuel efficiency and reduced handling, while an over-inflated tyre can lead to poor handling and uneven tread wear.

5) Can the weight on tyres vary depending on the type of vehicle?

Yes, the weight on tyres can vary depending on the type of vehicle. For example, a larger vehicle such as a truck or SUV will have a higher weight on the tyres compared to a smaller car due to its heavier weight and larger contact area on the ground.