Pressure on tyres of a vehicle question - Calculating weight

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
Molly1235
Messages
77
Reaction score
4

Homework Statement



The pressure in the tyres of a vehicle is 280 kPa. The contact area of each of the four tyres on the ground is 0.012m^2. Calculate the weight of the vehicle.

Homework Equations



Force = Pressure x Area

The Attempt at a Solution



280 kPa = 2800000 Pa

Force = 2800000 x 0.012 = 33,600N

Am I right in assuming that this is the weight of one tyre, so you have to multiply this by 4 to get the force of the whole vehicle on the ground??

I think I've gone completely wrong here so would be grateful for some help!

Thanks :-)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Molly1235 said:

Homework Statement



The pressure in the tyres of a vehicle is 280 kPa. The contact area of each of the four tyres on the ground is 0.012m^2. Calculate the weight of the vehicle.

Homework Equations



Force = Pressure x Area

The Attempt at a Solution



280 kPa = 2800000 Pa

Force = 2800000 x 0.012 = 33,600N

Am I right in assuming that this is the weight of one tyre, so you have to multiply this by 4 to get the force of the whole vehicle on the ground??

I think I've gone completely wrong here so would be grateful for some help!

Thanks :-)

Double check your conversion of 280 kPa to Pa.
 
SteamKing said:
Double check your conversion of 280 kPa to Pa.

Oops - wouldn't it be 280,000 Pa?
 
Molly1235 said:
Am I right in assuming that this is the weight of one tyre, so you have to multiply this by 4 to get the force of the whole vehicle on the ground??

Yep!

Molly1235 said:
Oops - wouldn't it be 280,000 Pa?

That looks better! :smile:
 
I like Serena said:
Yep!



That looks better! :smile:

So my method was correct??
 
I like Serena said:
Yes.

Yay! Thank you very much!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person