What is the new pressure in a bicycle tire after riding on a hot day?

In summary, the bicycle tire is initially filled with air at a pressure of 68 psi and a temperature of 28°C. After riding on hot asphalt, the temperature of the tire increases to 58°C, causing the volume to increase by 3.9%. To find the new pressure, the ideal gas law (PV = nRT) is used, but the values of n and R can be ignored since they do not change. By rearranging the equation to solve for P, the new pressure is calculated to be 6.89 psi, which is significantly lower than the initial pressure.
LeonJHardman

Homework Statement

A bicycle tire is filled with air to a pressure of 68 psi, at a temperature of 28°C. Riding the bike on asphalt on a hot day increases the temperature of the tire to 58°C. The volume of the tire increases by 3.9%. What is the new pressure in the bicycle tire?

Homework Equations

PV=NRT

The Attempt at a Solution

Well... I went through it first by changing psi into pascals, then Celcius into Kelvin. then I made an attempt to find volume which I got 5.9736e-4 for. ( i kind of ignored the moles because I ddidn't know what to do with it, so I put it in as 1 to pretty much negate it) then I multiplied the volume by 1.039 and plugged in the R constant and 359.15 K to try to find pascals. which I got 47484.6921 Pascals, but it asked for answers in psi, so I tried to switch it to psi by dividing by 6894.8 and got 6.89 psi. I don't think this is even close to right.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your main quantities are P, V, T. The quantities of n and R are not needed. Neither of these last two would change. Do you remember how P, V, and T by themselves are related?

PV= T right?

1. What is pressure in chemistry?

In chemistry, pressure refers to the force exerted per unit area by a gas or liquid. It is typically measured in units of atmospheres (atm) or pascals (Pa).

2. How does pressure affect chemical reactions?

Pressure can affect chemical reactions by changing the rate at which they occur. Higher pressure can increase the number of collisions between reacting particles, leading to a faster reaction. It can also affect the equilibrium of a reaction, causing it to shift in the direction that produces less volume.

3. What is Boyle's Law and how does it relate to pressure?

Boyle's Law states that, at a constant temperature, the pressure of a gas is inversely proportional to its volume. This means that as pressure increases, volume decreases, and vice versa. This relationship can be seen in the ideal gas law, PV = nRT.

4. How can pressure be measured in a laboratory setting?

Pressure can be measured using a variety of instruments, such as barometers, manometers, and gauges. These instruments measure the force exerted by a gas or liquid on a specific area and convert it into units of pressure.

5. What is the difference between absolute and gauge pressure?

Absolute pressure is the total pressure exerted by a gas or liquid, including atmospheric pressure. Gauge pressure, on the other hand, is the difference between absolute pressure and atmospheric pressure. Gauge pressure is typically used in laboratory settings, while absolute pressure is used in calculations and equations.