1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure problem from chem

1. Nov 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A bicycle tire is filled with air to a pressure of 68 psi, at a temperature of 28°C. Riding the bike on asphalt on a hot day increases the temperature of the tire to 58°C. The volume of the tire increases by 3.9%. What is the new pressure in the bicycle tire?

2. Relevant equations
    PV=NRT

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well... I went through it first by changing psi into pascals, then Celcius into Kelvin. then I made an attempt to find volume which I got 5.9736e-4 for. ( i kind of ignored the moles because I ddidn't know what to do with it, so I put it in as 1 to pretty much negate it) then I multiplied the volume by 1.039 and plugged in the R constant and 359.15 K to try to find pascals. which I got 47484.6921 Pascals, but it asked for answers in psi, so I tried to switch it to psi by dividing by 6894.8 and got 6.89 psi. I don't think this is even close to right.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2009 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Your main quantities are P, V, T. The quantities of n and R are not needed. Neither of these last two would change. Do you remember how P, V, and T by themselves are related?

4. Nov 3, 2009 #3
    PV= T right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook