Pressure vs Vlume graph questions

In summary, the problem involves a monatomic ideal gas initially at a temperature of -23 0C, which is then compressed slowly and adiabatically to one third of its initial volume (state B). It is then isothermally expanded back to its initial volume (state C) and undergoes a constant volume process to return to its initial state (state A). The sketch of this cyclic process on a PV diagram shows states A, B, and C. The temperature of state B is found to be 247 0C. Using this information and the first law of thermodynamics, the heat input to the gas along each leg of the cycle (QAB, QBC, and QCA) can be calculated.
joemama69

Homework Statement

0.20 moles of a monatomic ideal gas is initially at a temperature of –23 0C.
Call this state “A.” The gas is now compressed slowly and adiabatically to
state “B” in which it has one third of its initial volume. Next it is isothermally
expanded back to its initial volume in state “C.” Finally it undergoes a
constant volume process that returns it to its initial state.

a) Sketch this cyclic process with reasonable care on a PV diagram and
label the three states—A, B, and C.

b) Show that the temperature of state B is 247 0C.

c) Find the heat input to the gas along each leg of the cycle—QAB, QBC,
and QCA. [Note: Use the result of part b whether or not you got it!]

d) Use the results of part c) and the first law of thermodynamics to find the
net work done by the gas around the entire cycle.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Part A) Note the attachment. Its a little crude but the two lines (ab) & (bc) are suppose to nice curves

Part B) I'm not really sure what forumla to use here. Because the temp changes I know i can't use and of the PV formulas. Heres what I know...

T_o = 250 Kelvin, T = 520 Kelvin, V = 1/3 V_o, Q = 0

Physics news on Phys.org
oops forgot the attachment.

Should i be using

PV - P_oV_o = Nk(T - T_o) and solve for T

first i need to find P

PV = P_oV_o ...P(1/3 V_o) = P_o V_o... P = 3P_o

3P(1/3V) - PV = Nk(T - 250) where N = .2*6.02E^23 & k = 1.38E^-23

0 = NkT - NK250 this is not right what ami doing wrong

Attachments

• 1.pdf
    6.2 KB · Views: 195

1. What is a pressure vs volume graph?

A pressure vs volume graph is a graphical representation of the relationship between pressure and volume of a gas at a constant temperature. It is used to study the behavior of gases and determine their properties.

2. How is pressure related to volume in a pressure vs volume graph?

The pressure and volume in a pressure vs volume graph have an inverse relationship. This means that as the pressure increases, the volume decreases and vice versa, as long as the temperature remains constant.

3. What is the significance of the slope in a pressure vs volume graph?

The slope in a pressure vs volume graph represents the gas constant. It is a measure of how much the pressure changes with a change in volume at a constant temperature. It can be used to calculate the number of moles of gas present.

4. How does a pressure vs volume graph change with temperature?

The shape of a pressure vs volume graph remains the same with a change in temperature, but the values on the axes will change. If the temperature increases, the pressure and volume values will increase proportionally, while they will decrease with a decrease in temperature.

5. How is a pressure vs volume graph used in real-world applications?

A pressure vs volume graph is used in various fields, such as chemistry, physics, and engineering. It is used to study gas laws, determine the properties of gases, and design and optimize gas systems, such as engines and refrigeration systems.