1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pretty simple ordered field question

1. Apr 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    basically proving multiplying a negative number through an inequality changes the inequality

2. Relevant equations
    if a > b, and c < 0,
    then the following inequality holds: ac < bc.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am pretty stumped on this one, i tried to prove that C is a negative number, but i dont know where to go at all

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2012 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For the most part, it should be just unraveling definitions, and making use of the fact ad>bd for any positive d. (and picking a useful d)

4. Apr 16, 2012 #3
    i'm still stuck, all i can think of is making the d=-c which i define when c+(-c)=0

5. Apr 16, 2012 #4
    i'm still lost, i dont know why i am so bad at simple algebraic manipulations. can anyone offer more hints?

6. Apr 16, 2012 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So make the substitution. How is < defined? Apply the definition both to this case, and to the case you're trying to solve, so that you can see what you need to prove.

7. Apr 16, 2012 #6
    I actually ended up figuring it out, thanks tho!

8. Apr 16, 2012 #7

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah good!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook