Primary Dimension: Mass Units for Power, Pressure, Modulus, Angular Velocity

• Thread starter jaredmt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dimension
In summary, the question is asking for the dimensions and typical SI and English units for power, pressure, modulus of elasticity, and angular velocity, with mass as the primary dimension. Examples of SI units are given, such as 1 watt = 1 J/s for power. The question may seem easy, but it is important to properly understand what is being asked for.
jaredmt

Homework Statement

For each quantity listed, indicate dimensions using mass as a primary dimension and give typical SI and English units:
power
pressure
modulus of elasticity
angular velocity

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

im not sure i understand what it is asking for. There is another question asking the same thing but with "force" as primary dimension.
with mass being primary dimension, i guess it is referring to MLtT, but that is considered SI units isn't it? so wouldn't i just give examples of SI units? i don't see where english units come in, I am confused

an example of Power in SI is 1 watt = 1 J/s. would that be the correct answer for that part? I am sure this question is easy but I am not clear on what they are asking for

Physics news on Phys.org
jaredmt said:
For each quantity listed, indicate dimensions using mass as a primary dimension and give typical SI and English units:
power
pressure
modulus of elasticity
angular velocity

an example of Power in SI is 1 watt = 1 J/s. would that be the correct answer for that part? I am sure this question is easy but I am not clear on what they are asking for

Hi jaredmt! :smile:

I think they're asking for something like ML2/T3 (i made that up! :rolleyes:), watt (that's SI), and foot-pound-horsey-thingy (that's English, or imperial). :wink:

I agree with tiny-tim. So Force would be ML/T2 in this problem, but would simply be F when force (not mass) is a primary dimension.

Don't worry about whether length L is in meters or feet, that isn't relevant here.

I agree with Redbelly98, except T should be lowercase t.

Typically in problems like this, when one is expressing time units, an uppercase T is used. Just as uppercase M and L are used for mass and length units.

A lowercase t is used to express time as a variable in equations, but that is not what is being done here.

I agree with Redbelly98 :biggrin:

1. What is the primary dimension of mass units for power?

The primary dimension of mass units for power is mass multiplied by length squared divided by time cubed (M*L^2/T^3). This represents the rate at which energy is transferred or work is done.

2. How are pressure units related to mass?

Pressure units are related to mass through the equation force divided by area (F/A). This means that the mass of an object affects the amount of force needed to create a certain pressure.

3. What is the primary dimension of mass units for modulus?

The primary dimension of mass units for modulus is mass divided by length squared (M/L^2). This represents the stiffness or elasticity of a material.

4. How does mass affect angular velocity?

Mass does not directly affect angular velocity. Instead, angular velocity is affected by the moment of inertia, which is the mass distribution of an object about an axis of rotation. The farther the mass is from the axis, the larger the moment of inertia and the slower the angular velocity.

5. What is the relationship between mass units and power units?

Mass units and power units are related through the equation force multiplied by velocity (F*V). This represents the amount of work that can be done per unit of time, and the mass of an object affects the amount of force needed to achieve a certain velocity.