Are prime numbers truly random or is there a hidden pattern?

In summary, a recent article discusses a conjecture made by Reinmann about the randomness of prime numbers, which has received attention from both mathematicians and physicists. While the conjecture has not been proven, there is evidence that suggests a pattern in the procession of prime numbers. However, this does not mean that all patterns in prime numbers can be proven, as it is a difficult task. Overall, this topic is an important area of study in mathematics.
Imparcticle
Here is a cool article about a pattern to the procession of prime numbers:

http://www.nature.com/nsu/030317/030317-13.html

Enjoy! :smile:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I could be wrong but surely this could never stand up as serious mathematics. There being an infinite number of primes trying to spot how likely differences are is surely like trying to spot how likely the digit 7 occurs in Pi in base 10...

Well, if Reinmann decided to make a conjecture about the randomness of prime numbers, and it is taken seriously, then I am sure it is a serious kind of mathematics. Also, I believe the seriousness of a subject is subjective.

As with a lot of popular science articles on mathematics it omits many details and gives a false impression. If I were a number theorist I'd be vaguely bemused at the 'hey look you guys, *physicists* can do it, why can't you' feeling in it. As anyone who knows about the recent interest in the zeta function will tell you, it is high'y unlikely that any number theory techniques extant will solve the Riemann Conjecture, and it is felt that physicists may have the most important input (quantum chaotical systems and random matrices, perhaps). This is not new or surprising. What is surprising is that Physics has had so little input in pure mathematics in the last 80 years compared to the previous few thousand.

And it is not true, in some sense, to say that the primes are not random, as we can prove a statement that says, in effect, that they are as random as you get, and that any statement that is true for a *random* (in a carefully stated sense) set of natural numbers is true of the primes.

Anyway, Zurtex, this area is an important one.

How carefully did you read the article? The people quoted do not claim they have found a pattern. They say they have found what looks like a pattern. They certainly do not claim to have proved that that pattern will always be true. I suspect that such a proof would be as difficult as proving all of the other possible patterns in prime numbers.

1. What are prime numbers?

Prime numbers are positive integers that are only divisible by 1 and themselves. They cannot be divided evenly by any other number. The first few prime numbers are 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, and so on.

2. How are prime numbers not random?

Prime numbers follow a specific pattern and are not randomly distributed. They become more sparse as the numbers get larger, and there is no known formula or pattern to generate prime numbers.

3. Why are prime numbers important?

Prime numbers are important in cryptography and number theory. They are also used in computer algorithms and data encryption.

4. Are there infinite prime numbers?

Yes, there are infinite prime numbers. This was first proved by the ancient Greek mathematician Euclid.

5. How are prime numbers used in everyday life?

Prime numbers are used in everyday life in various ways, such as in credit card security codes, internet security protocols, and in generating secure passwords. They are also used in music theory and the design of musical scales.