Proving Continuity of Spec(S) -> Spec(R) Homomorphism

• Thread starter tom.young84
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Continuity
In summary, to prove the homomorphism between the two prime spectrums of R and S is continuous, we need to show that for any open set U in Spec(R), the preimage f-1(U) is open in Spec(S). This can be done by taking an arbitrary element P of f-1(U) and finding an open neighborhood of P that is also a subset of f-1(U). This is achieved by taking the set P \cap f-1(C), where C is an open set in R that contains the prime ideal B in U.
tom.young84
f: Spec(S) -> Spec(R)

How do I prove the homomorphism between the two prime spectrums of R and S is continuous?

I have a strategy, but I'm having problems trying to see how to formulate a proof.

My strategy is as follows. I was able to prove earlier in the assignment that a prime ideal P in S will get mapped back to a prime ideal f-1(P) in R. From this I gather that there will be some ideal A contained in a collection of prime ideals V(B) both in R. Then f-1(A)=f-1(V(A)) and that's going to be in P which is in S. I think. As of right now this is my "gut reaction" to seeing the question.

**V(I) is the collection of all prime ideals of R that contain I.

Physics news on Phys.org
**To prove that the homomorphism between the two prime spectrums of R and S is continuous, we need to show that for any open set U in Spec(R), the preimage f-1(U) is open in Spec(S). To do this, we can take an arbitrary element P of f-1(U). We then need to find an open neighborhood of P that is also a subset of f-1(U).Let P be an arbitrary element of f-1(U). By definition, there exists some B in U such that f-1(B) = P. Then taking the collection of ideals V(B) in R, we have that f-1(V(B)) = P. Since V(B) is a collection of prime ideals in R, this means that P is a collection of prime ideals in S that contain f-1(B). Let Q be any prime ideal in P. Then we know that f-1(B) is contained in Q since Q contains all prime ideals in P. Since U is an open set in R, this means that there exists some C in U such that B is a subset of C. Then we have that f-1(C) is a subset of f-1(B) since f-1 is a homomorphism. This implies that f-1(C) is also contained in Q. We can now take the set P \cap f-1(C) as our open neighborhood of P that is also a subset of f-1(U). Thus, we have shown that f-1(U) is open in Spec(S), which proves that the homomorphism between the two prime spectrums of R and S is continuous.

1. What is a Spec(S) -> Spec(R) homomorphism?

A Spec(S) -> Spec(R) homomorphism is a continuous map between the prime spectra of two commutative rings S and R. It maps prime ideals in S to prime ideals in R in a way that preserves the algebraic structure of the rings.

2. Why is proving continuity of a Spec(S) -> Spec(R) homomorphism important?

Proving continuity of a Spec(S) -> Spec(R) homomorphism is important because it ensures that the map is well-defined and that it accurately reflects the algebraic structure of the rings. This allows for a deeper understanding of the relationship between the two rings and can be useful in various mathematical applications.

3. What techniques are commonly used to prove continuity of a Spec(S) -> Spec(R) homomorphism?

Some common techniques used to prove continuity of a Spec(S) -> Spec(R) homomorphism include showing that the map is compatible with the algebraic operations of the rings, using topological properties such as closed sets, and using the Zariski topology to show that the preimage of a closed set is closed.

4. Can a Spec(S) -> Spec(R) homomorphism be discontinuous?

No, a Spec(S) -> Spec(R) homomorphism must be continuous. This is because the map is defined as a continuous function between the prime spectra of two commutative rings, and any discontinuity would violate the algebraic structure of the rings.

5. What are some real-world applications of proving continuity of a Spec(S) -> Spec(R) homomorphism?

Proving continuity of a Spec(S) -> Spec(R) homomorphism has various applications in algebraic geometry, number theory, and other areas of mathematics. It can also be used in physics and engineering, particularly in the study of dynamical systems and control theory.