Principle Quantum Number Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the hydrogen spectrum and how a blue line with a wavelength of 434 nm is emitted when the electron drops from the fifth energy level to a lower energy level. The homework equations En = 13.6 eV/n^2 and E = hc/lambda are used to find the lower energy level, and two approaches are attempted. The first approach uses n^2 = 2(13.6 eV)/En(5^2) and the second approach uses n^2 = En + 13.6 eV. However, the correct approach is to use E_{
wilson_chem90

Homework Statement

The hydrogen spectrum contains a blue line with a wavelength of 434 nm. Photons of blue light are emitted when hydrogens electron drops from the fifth energy level to a lover energy level. What is the lower energy level?

Homework Equations

En = 13.6 eV/n^2
E = hc/lambda

The Attempt at a Solution

First I'm going to find E.

E = hc/lambda
= (6.63 x 10^-34 J s)(3.00 x 10^8 m/s) / (4.34 x 10^-7 m)
= 4.583 x 10^-19 J

(1.60 x 10^-19 eV/J) x (4.583 x 10^-19 J)
= 2.86 eV

Next i tried 2 different approaches, I am not sure either is correct though. I used En = -(13.6eV/n^2) - (-13.6eV/n^2) and i just used En = -(13.6eV/n^2)

1st approach:
En = -(13.6eV/n^2) - (-13.6eV/n^2)

I rearranged this equation to be n^2 = 2(13.6eV)/En5^2 (i'm pretty sure that's incorrect)
so n^2 = 2(13.6 eV)/2.86(25)
n = sqrt(0.38041958)
n = 0.62

2nd approach:
En = -(13.6eV/n^2)
Now i rearranged this equation to be n^2 = En + 13.6eV
= 2.86eV + 13.6eV
n = sqrt16.46 eV
= 4.06

So I am pretty sure my problem lies within rearranging the equations. Any suggestions? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I also just realized i can rearrange En = -(13.6eV/n^2) to be n^2 = 13.6eV/En

so using that equation it would be n^2 = 13.6eV/2.86eV
n = sqrt4.75
= 2.2

this one makes a lot more sense, seeing how the units cancel

it looks like your problem is with the relationship between the energy of the photon and the change in energy levels.

[tex]E_{photon}= E_{f}- E_{i}[/tex]

where the initial state is the 5th energy level, E of the photon you figured out was 2.86, and the final state is what we're solving for.

so,
[tex]E_{n}= E_{photon} + E_{5}[/tex]

and

[tex] \frac{13.6}{n^{2}} = 2.86 + \frac{13.6}{5^{2}} [/tex]

now its just algebra to find out n

thanks, i thought it was that, but i might've messed up the rearrangement, I am not very strong when it comes to that... i got n^2 = 13.6eV - 0.544eV/2.86eV (the 0.544 is 13.6/5^2)
I worked it out and got an answer of 2.14

wilson_chem90 said:
thanks, i thought it was that, but i might've messed up the rearrangement, I am not very strong when it comes to that... i got n^2 = 13.6eV - 0.544eV/2.86eV (the 0.544 is 13.6/5^2)
I worked it out and got an answer of 2.14

i still think you're doing something a bit off here. the .544 and 2.86 should be summed, not divided. and then divide 13.6 by the new sum for your answer. it should give you n^2=(approx.)4, and n=2

remember that n is a discrete energy level, which are integers, and if your decimal is off by more than a tenth or two from the whole, something might be awry in your calculations.

Last edited:
but when i do that i get a decimal, not a whole number. and its 0.544

What is the principle quantum number?

The principle quantum number, denoted by the symbol "n", is a quantum number that describes the energy level or shell of an electron in an atom. It can have integer values starting from 1 and increasing by 1 for each subsequent energy level.

How does the principle quantum number relate to the size of an atom?

The principle quantum number is directly related to the size of an atom. As the value of n increases, the distance of the electron from the nucleus also increases, making the atom larger.

Can the principle quantum number have a decimal value?

No, the principle quantum number must have an integer value. This is because it represents the number of energy levels an electron can occupy in an atom, and energy levels cannot be divided into fractions.

What is the maximum number of electrons that can occupy an energy level with a principle quantum number of n?

The maximum number of electrons that can occupy an energy level with a principle quantum number of n is given by the formula 2n². For example, the first energy level (n=1) can hold a maximum of 2 electrons, the second energy level (n=2) can hold a maximum of 8 electrons, and so on.

How does the principle quantum number affect the energy and stability of an electron?

The principle quantum number determines the energy of an electron, with higher values of n corresponding to higher energy levels. Electrons in higher energy levels are less stable and have more energy than electrons in lower energy levels.