Principles of Quantum Mechanics - mathematical introduction

In summary, the conversation is discussing the mathematical introduction to projection operators in the book Principles of Quantum Mechanics 2nd edition by R. Shankar. The question is whether the expansion of an arbitrary ket is only true if the basis is normalized, and it is confirmed that the vectors must have unit norm. It is also mentioned that in quantum mechanics, there is always the assumption that any two distinct basis vectors are orthogonal. The use of integers as identifiers for basis vectors is also brought up, and it is clarified that it is a shorthand notation for a countable set of basis vectors.
AngrySaki
I'm going through the book: Principles of Quantum Mechanics 2nd edition by R. Shankar

In the mathematical introduction to projection operators (page 22), it writes:
"Consider the expansion of an arbitrary ket [itex]|V\rangle[/itex] in a basis:
[itex]|V\rangle=\sum_{i}^{} |i\rangle\langle i|V\rangle[/itex]"

My understanding is that that's only true if the basis is normalized. Is this correct?

If my understanding is correct:
I can't find where the other spots were, but there's been other times where it's felt like what was written would only true for orthanormal bases, but it didn't seem to be explicitly stated. For people who have gone through this book, is it normally assumed for that textbook that you're usually working in an orthanormal basis?

The book often writes kets as [itex]|n\rangle[/itex] where n is an integer (eg. [itex]|1\rangle[/itex], [itex]|2\rangle[/itex], etc...). Does using an integer number have a special meaning, or is it just an identifier?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
AngrySaki said:
I'm going through the book: Principles of Quantum Mechanics 2nd edition by R. Shankar

In the mathematical introduction to projection operators (page 22), it writes:
"Consider the expansion of an arbitrary ket [itex]|V\rangle[/itex] in a basis:
[itex]|V\rangle=\sum_{i}^{} |i\rangle\langle i|V\rangle[/itex]"

My understanding is that that's only true if the basis is normalized. Is this correct? [...]

Yes, the vectors have to unit norm.

AngrySaki said:
[...]If my understanding is correct:
I can't find where the other spots were, but there's been other times where it's felt like what was written would only true for orthanormal bases, but it didn't seem to be explicitly stated. For people who have gone through this book, is it normally assumed for that textbook that you're usually working in an orthanormal basis? [...]

In QM there's always the assumption that any 2 distinct basis vectors are orthogonal one on another.

AngrySaki said:
[...] 2.
The book often writes kets as [itex]|n\rangle[/itex] where n is an integer (eg. [itex]|1\rangle[/itex], [itex]|2\rangle[/itex], etc...). Does using an integer number have a special meaning, or is it just an identifier? [...]

It's an indentifier, a shortand notation for some countable set of basis vectors.

Thanks, that helps a ton.

1. What is the purpose of studying Principles of Quantum Mechanics?

The principles of quantum mechanics provide a mathematical framework for understanding the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. This understanding is crucial for many fields of science, including physics, chemistry, and engineering.

2. What are some of the key concepts in Principles of Quantum Mechanics?

Some key concepts in Principles of Quantum Mechanics include wave-particle duality, superposition, and uncertainty principle. These concepts help to explain the probabilistic nature of quantum systems and the limitations of measuring certain properties simultaneously.

3. How is mathematics used in Principles of Quantum Mechanics?

Quantum mechanics relies heavily on mathematical tools such as linear algebra, differential equations, and complex numbers. These mathematical concepts are used to describe the behavior of particles in quantum systems and make predictions about their behavior.

4. What are the implications of Principles of Quantum Mechanics?

Principles of Quantum Mechanics have led to many groundbreaking discoveries and technologies, such as transistors, lasers, and computers. It has also challenged our understanding of reality and the nature of the universe.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Principles of Quantum Mechanics?

Yes, Principles of Quantum Mechanics have many practical applications in fields such as quantum computing, cryptography, and quantum communication. It also plays a crucial role in the development of new materials and technologies in various industries.