1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Print head control system

1. Feb 13, 2008 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Please refer to the image attached for problem statement and diagram.

There's an inductor somewhere, but I have no idea where and I don't know how to accommodate for it. I can also see that there's another energy storage device, the spring on the right.

I have no idea where to start with the equations of motion, but I know how to put them in SS form. If someone would help me with the equations (i.e. point me in the right direction to get me started), that would be great!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2008 #2

This is purely mechanical. You want to find x(t), the time history of the block (print head). The best way to do this is to write it as a differential equation and solve that. So..

[tex]Mx'' = \Sigma(forces) = -bx' - kx + \frac{\tau(t)}{r}[/tex]

You can then put this in state space (just define the state variables).
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  4. Feb 13, 2008 #3
    Hey thanks for your help.

The second part of the problem asks for a transfer function of X(s)/V(s) and he said in class that there's an inductor somewhere with inductance L and resistance R, so I know for sure there's an electrical part to it somewhere.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?