Probability Amplitude: Understanding Photons

In summary, the attached conversation discusses the path and properties of photons. It is stated that photons do not have a path and that our common sense does not necessarily apply to quantum objects. The concept of particles in quantum physics is also explored, with a focus on the complexities of photons due to their lack of rest mass. The conversation also touches on the issue of polarization and its relationship to a photon's momentum.
Daniel Petka
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/197770The path of a photon is a perfect straight line not a sine wave, right? (if the probability amplitude is zero)https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/197771

Attachments

• IMG_8778.JPG
    IMG_8778.JPG
    5 KB · Views: 361
Physics news on Phys.org
The y-axis is the strength of the electric (or magnetic), field, not a position.

A photon does not have a path.

Likes ImStein and bhobba
Daniel Petka said:
The path of a photon is a perfect straight line not a sine wave, right? (if the probability amplitude is zero)
The attached image is a graph showing the strength of the electric and magnetic fields associated with a classical electromagnetic wave at different places at the same time. It has nothing to do with photons (which, as mfb says, don't have a path).

mfb said:
A photon does not have a path.
This is interpretation dependent statement.

How can this be interpretation dependent statement if there is no position operator for photons (which AFAIK is not interpretation dependent)?

If a model would make prediction that leads to discontinuous path for a photon you could say that photon does not have a path. If a model is silent on the matter you can't draw any conclusions from that.

If a photon doesn't have any path, how can it then interact with let's say only electrons in front of him? Common sense tells me that light must have a path.

Daniel Petka said:
If a photon doesn't have any path, how can it then interact with let's say only electrons in front of him? Common sense tells me that light must have a path.

Why do you think a photon has the property of something in front of it?

As has been said many times before be very careful of ascribing properties to quantum objects independent of actual observation.

QM and commonsense are not necessarily the best of friends.

Thanks
Bill

Daniel Petka said:
Common sense tells me that light must have a path.
Light has a path, but that doesn't mean a photon does. A beam of light is not a stream of photons flowing by the way a river is a stream of water molecules flowing by.

Our common sense comes from a lifetime of experience with macroscopic objects obeying the laws of classical physics, so doesn't work especially well for quantum objects. Your common sense was already leading you astray when it tempted you to think about how a photon might interact with an electron "in front" of it; what does "in front" or "behind" mean for something that has no position?

Likes ImStein and bhobba
Ok... photons are strange [emoji23]

Daniel Petka said:
Ok... photons are strange [emoji23]
They are indeed... much of the problem comes from the word "particle", which as used in quantum physics doesn't mean at all what you'd expect from the common English-language meaning of the word. Photons are especially complicated because they have no rest mass, so cannot be treated using "ordinary" non-relativistic quantum mechanics, the stuff you study in your first few undergraduate years.

The links in the first two posts of this thread are pretty good but maybe a bit more than you're up for.

OK but please don't tell me that photons don't have a 3 dimensional orientation... cause then my brain's going to explodes

Daniel Petka said:
OK but please don't tell me that photons don't have a 3 dimensional orientation.
Are you referring to the polarisation here?

Daniel Petka said:
OK but please don't tell me that photons don't have a 3 dimensional orientation... cause then my brain's going to explodes
I think the polarization angle lies in the plane orthogonal to the momentum. Which is only one degree of freedom.

Likes Jilang

1. What is a probability amplitude?

A probability amplitude is a complex number used in quantum mechanics to describe the likelihood of a particle, such as a photon, being in a certain state at a given time. It combines both the magnitude and phase of a wave function, which represents the probability of finding the particle in a specific location or state.

2. How is a probability amplitude related to a photon?

In quantum mechanics, photons are described as wave-like particles with a probability amplitude representing the likelihood of the photon being in a certain location or state. The square of the probability amplitude gives the probability of finding the photon at that location or in that state.

3. What is the difference between a probability amplitude and a probability?

A probability amplitude is a complex number that describes the likelihood of a particle being in a certain state, while a probability is a real number that represents the chance of an event occurring. The square of the probability amplitude gives the probability of finding the particle in a specific state, but the probability itself only gives the chance of the event happening.

4. How is a probability amplitude calculated?

The probability amplitude for a specific state is calculated by using the wave function of the particle at that state and applying the Schrödinger equation. This equation takes into account the particle's energy, potential, and other quantum properties to determine its probability amplitude.

5. Can probability amplitudes be negative?

Yes, probability amplitudes can be negative due to their complex nature. However, the square of the probability amplitude must always be a positive value, representing the probability of finding the particle in a certain state. This allows for interference effects, where positive and negative probability amplitudes can cancel each other out to create a probability of zero for a certain state.