1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability and Combinations

1. Apr 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

There are 10 cricket matches are on to start and each match can result three types of wins i.e. either first team win or draw or second team win. How many combinations can possible to make all the cricket matches should be right, if a user select only one option per match(i.e first team win or draw or second team win) over all the 10 matches?

2. Relevant equations

No Hints at all.

3. The attempt at a solution

I guess that combinations concept is quite suitable for this operation but i am not sure. if i take the formula N combinations r i.e. 10combinations3 which results 120 combinations. Am i right?

Any help here!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2012 #2

rcgldr

Homework Helper

Shouldn't the 10 cricket matches beconsider as unique cricket matches?

4. Apr 18, 2012 #3
    no every match is different allways.

5. Apr 18, 2012 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you are saying that all 10 choices must be right, combinations have nothing at all to do with the problem. Can't you see why?

I will give you a small hint. Suppose we bet on 2 matches instead of 10. What is the probability we get both bets right? Well, what is the probability the first guess is right? What is the probability the second guess is right? Assuming independence of outcomes, what is the probability that both guesses are right?

Now extend the reasoning to 10 guesses.

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook