Probability and entropy in an exponentially increasing sample space

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of sharing a formulation for the relationship between probability and information entropy in an exponentially increasing sample space. However, it is stated that this forum is not the appropriate place for discussing personal or speculative theories. The conversation ends with the suggestion that philosophical discussions are only permitted at the discretion of the mentors and may be deleted without warning.
Larry Lacey
TL;DR Summary
Relationship between probability and entropy in an exponentially increasing sample space
Hi, I'm new to PF and not really sure which forum may be the most appropriate to find people with an interest in probability and entropy. But the title of this forum looks promising. If you share an interest in this topic would be delighted to hear from you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have a question?

Yes mathman, has anyone come across a formulation for the relationship between probability and informaton entropy in an exponentially increasing sample space?

I believe I have such a formulation. How is that best shared on this forum or is this not something that should be done?

There is no reason not to. Just make sure that your terms are clearly defined.

Thanks for the feedback mathman. For me to do this, it would be best for me to present this as a pdf file, ie as an attachment. Will that be OK? Don't want to be presumptive.

Larry Lacey said:
Thanks for the feedback mathman. For me to do this, it would be best for me to present this as a pdf file, ie as an attachment. Will that be OK? Don't want to be presumptive.
This is not the place to discuss personal or speculative theories. If you post your theory, it will likely be deleted.

It's not a theory PeroK. It is a framework constructed using statistical theory. It could be flawed but that is for others to argue based on statistical theory. However, I will not post it until I get an OK to do so, as I'm new to the forum and ts rules.

Larry Lacey said:
It's not a theory PeroK. It is a framework constructed using statistical theory. It could be flawed but that is for others to argue based on statistical theory. However, I will not post it until I get an OK to do so, as I'm new to the forum and ts rules.
Here's the relevant rule:

Non-mainstream theories:
Generally, in the forums we do not allow the following:
  • Discussion of theories that appear only on personal web sites, self-published books, etc.
  • Challenges to mainstream theories (relativity, the Big Bang, etc.) that go beyond current professional discussion
  • Attempts to promote or resuscitate theories that have been discredited or superseded (e.g. Lorentz ether theory); this does not exclude discussion of those theories in a purely historical context
  • Personal theories or speculations that go beyond or counter to generally-accepted science
  • Mixing science and religion, e.g. using religious doctrines in support of scientific arguments or vice versa.
  • Philosophical discussions are permitted only at the discretion of the mentors and may be deleted or closed without warning or appeal

PeroK said:
This is not the place to discuss personal or speculative theories. If you post your theory, it will likely be deleted.
OP tried posting his paper anyway, and it has indeed been deleted. Thread is closed.

Likes Vanadium 50 and PeroK

What is probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood that a certain event will occur. It is typically expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

How is probability related to entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the amount of disorder or randomness in a system. In a probability context, entropy can be thought of as the uncertainty or unpredictability of an event occurring. As the probability of an event decreases, the entropy increases.

What is an exponentially increasing sample space?

An exponentially increasing sample space refers to a situation where the number of possible outcomes in a sample space increases at an exponential rate. This often occurs in situations where there are multiple independent events with a large number of possible outcomes.

How do you calculate the probability of an event in an exponentially increasing sample space?

To calculate the probability of an event in an exponentially increasing sample space, you would divide the number of desired outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This is known as the classical probability formula.

What is the relationship between probability and sample size in an exponentially increasing sample space?

In an exponentially increasing sample space, as the sample size increases, the probability of a specific event occurring decreases. This is because as the sample size increases, the number of possible outcomes also increases, making it less likely for a specific event to occur.