Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability and two groups

1. Dec 6, 2006 #1
    Hi, I'd appriciate help with this problem;

Person X and Y have equal number of kids. There are 3 movie tickets. The probability that 2 tickets go to kids of one and 1 ticket goes to the kids of other is 6/7. How many kids do X and Y have?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Supposing each way of distributing the tickets is of equal probability, you can find and expression using combinatorics for the desired probability in terms of N (the number of kids). Then set the probability equal to 6/7 and solve for N.
  4. Dec 7, 2006 #3
    sorry, but i don't see any connection between the data given and no. of kids, except that both have 2 or more kids. Could u please be more definite.
    Thanx for ur help.
  5. Dec 7, 2006 #4
    Let X have N children, and Y have N children. For starters, how many ways are there to distribute the 3 tickets among the 2N children?
  6. Dec 8, 2006 #5
    Well, i used Baye's theorem n i'm getting the no. of children to be 4, which is correct, thank You for your help.
  7. Dec 20, 2006 #6

Baye's theorem is not reqiured:
    2(nC2)(nC1)/(2nC3)=6/7 . Solving we get, n=4.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?