1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability: Coinflips & Variance

1. Nov 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You are flipping a fair coin n times. Let X be the number of times you get a head followed by a tail (HT) and Y is the number of times you get tail and then a head (TH).

Find Var(X) and Var(Y).

2. Relevant equations
    Cov(X,X) = Var(X)

3. The attempt at a solution
    My approach is the break up the variables X and Y into sums of Bernoulli random variables. For instance, X = X1 + X2 +...+ Xn-1
    (because there are n-1 slots for a HT in n flips).
    So Xi = 1 if the ith slot of two flips contains a HT and 0 otherwise
    I am using the fact that Cov(X, X) = Var(X) and that
    Cov(Xi, Xj) = E(Xi Xj) - E(Xi)E(Xj) and then summing this up over all i and j.

For the case where i=j I got 3/16, which seems reasonable. I am have trouble with the case where i≠j, my answers keeps coming out negative and therefore making my whole variance negative, which is not right.

What I've done is:
    Cov(Xi, Xj) = E(Xi Xj) - E(Xi)E(Xj)
    = P(Xi Xj =1) - (1/4)(1/4)
    = P(Xi = 1, Xj = 1) - (1/16)
    Here is seems to me that P(Xi = 1, Xj = 1) = 0 since if you have HT in the ith slot then the jth slot begins with a T and thus cannot be HT so Xj = 0. But then this gives you that Cov(Xi, Xj) for i≠j = -1/16. Then summing up you get

(n-1)(3/16) + (n2 - n)(-1/16)
    =(1/16)(-n2 + 4n - 3) and this is not positive for most legitimate values of n.

Can anyone help explain what I am missing? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2009 #2
    Never mind. I think I figured it out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook