Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Probability Current for Free Particle Wave Function

1. Feb 19, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Probability Current for Free Particle Wave Function

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the probability current, J for the free particle wave function. Which direction does the probability current flow?

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]J(x,t) = \frac{ih}{4\pi m}\left(\Psi \frac{\partial \Psi^{*}}{\partial x} - \Psi^{*} \frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial x}\right)[/tex]

[tex]\Psi_{k}\left(x, t\right) = Ae^{i\left(kx - \frac{hk^{2}}{4\pi m}t}\right)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I won't take the time to put my math into Latex, but I come up with

[tex]J(x,t) = \frac{A^{2}hk}{2\pi m}[/tex]

Is this correct or did I do the complex conjugate wrong?
    How would I find the probability current flow direction?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2008 #2
    I just read that the direction is simply the sign of J(x,t) ( - corresponds to left and + corresponds to right). If this is so, that would be great. Can anyone confirm? (it wasnt exactly a textbook source)

4. Feb 19, 2008 #3

kdv

Yes, that's correct (and you can tell that the wavefunction you have is a plane wave travelling to the right since the sign of the x and t terms in the exponential have opposite signs). Your current looks good if A is assumed real (you should really have |A|^2 there, not A^2 since a gets complex conjugated).

5. Feb 19, 2008 #4
    Great, thank you very much.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook