1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability Current for Free Particle Wave Function

1. Feb 19, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Probability Current for Free Particle Wave Function

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the probability current, J for the free particle wave function. Which direction does the probability current flow?

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]J(x,t) = \frac{ih}{4\pi m}\left(\Psi \frac{\partial \Psi^{*}}{\partial x} - \Psi^{*} \frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial x}\right)[/tex]

[tex]\Psi_{k}\left(x, t\right) = Ae^{i\left(kx - \frac{hk^{2}}{4\pi m}t}\right)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I won't take the time to put my math into Latex, but I come up with

[tex]J(x,t) = \frac{A^{2}hk}{2\pi m}[/tex]

Is this correct or did I do the complex conjugate wrong?
    How would I find the probability current flow direction?
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2008 #2
    I just read that the direction is simply the sign of J(x,t) ( - corresponds to left and + corresponds to right). If this is so, that would be great. Can anyone confirm? (it wasnt exactly a textbook source)
  4. Feb 19, 2008 #3

Yes, that's correct (and you can tell that the wavefunction you have is a plane wave travelling to the right since the sign of the x and t terms in the exponential have opposite signs). Your current looks good if A is assumed real (you should really have |A|^2 there, not A^2 since a gets complex conjugated).
  5. Feb 19, 2008 #4
    Great, thank you very much.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?