Probability: Defective Parts

In summary: Remember, the probability of an event is the number of ways that event can occur, divided by the total number of possible outcomes. So for P(X=2), you want to find the number of ways to pick 2 bad parts out of 3 total bad parts, multiplied by the number of ways to pick 5-2=3 good parts out of 25-3=22 total good parts. This gives you the total number of ways to have 2 bad parts in the sample of 5. Then divide that by the total number of ways to pick any 5 parts out of 25. The same approach applies for P(X=3). So the final probability would be P(X=2)+P(X=3).
teme92

Homework Statement

A manager must assess the quality of a new batch of 25 components ready for shipping.
Rather than assess each component, a sample of 5 is randomly selected and tested. The
quality control speci fication is that if there are 2 or more defectives in the sample, the
quality manager must reject the batch. Suppose there are actually 3 defective components
in this batch of 25.

What is the probability that the batch is rejected?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I'm looking for the probability that 2 or 3 defective parts are taken in the sample of 5. I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the problem a bit.

I said the probability of choosing all 3 is:

(3/25).(2/24).(1/23)=1/2300

What's confusing me is that this has only three picks when there's five parts picked in the sample. Am I missing something here? Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
teme92 said:

Homework Statement

A manager must assess the quality of a new batch of 25 components ready for shipping.
Rather than assess each component, a sample of 5 is randomly selected and tested. The
quality control specification is that if there are 2 or more defectives in the sample, the
quality manager must reject the batch. Suppose there are actually 3 defective components
in this batch of 25.

What is the probability that the batch is rejected?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I'm looking for the probability that 2 or 3 defective parts are taken in the sample of 5. I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the problem a bit.

I said the probability of choosing all 3 is:

(3/25).(2/24).(1/23)=1/2300

What's confusing me is that this has only three picks when there's five parts picked in the sample. Am I missing something here? Any help would be much appreciated.

You have 3 bad and 22 good in the batch. If x is the number of bad, how many ways can you pick x out of the bad and 5-x out of the good? Have you studied the hypergeometric distribution yet?

Last edited:
This is a sample exam question yes so I would've done hypergeometric distribution yes. I just don't quite understand how to use it so I never thought that's what this problem was.

I think I know now when it should be used though. So:

P(X=2)+P(X+3)

P(X=2)=[(mCk).(N-m)C(n-k)]/(25C5)

where N=25, m=3, k=2, n=5 and use the same approach for P(X=3) except k=3.

Is this how the problem is done?

That's the idea.

1. What is probability and how is it related to defective parts?

Probability is the measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. In the context of defective parts, probability is used to determine the chance that a part will be defective.

2. How is the probability of defective parts calculated?

The probability of defective parts is calculated by dividing the number of defective parts by the total number of parts. This can be represented as a decimal, fraction, or percentage.

3. How can probability be used to improve quality control for defective parts?

By understanding the probability of defective parts, companies can implement quality control measures to reduce the number of defective parts produced. This can include regular inspections, improved manufacturing processes, and stricter standards for accepting or rejecting parts.

4. Is there a way to predict the likelihood of future defective parts based on past data?

Yes, probability can be used to make predictions about future defective parts based on past data. This is known as predictive maintenance and can help companies anticipate and prevent potential issues with their parts.

5. Are there any limitations to using probability to predict defective parts?

While probability can provide valuable insights, there are limitations to its accuracy. It is based on assumptions and may not always reflect real-world situations. Additionally, external factors such as human error or unexpected events can also impact the probability of defective parts.