Probability distribution of an electron - comparing to Bohr

In summary: I'm glad you caught the sign error. In summary, the most probable radius of the electron in the ground state of a Hydrogen-like atom is given by r = r0/Z. This is because the attraction between the electron and nucleus increases as Z increases, causing the probability distribution to become more concentrated around the nucleus.
Emspak

Homework Statement

The ground sate of a Hydrogen-like atom is given by the wavefunction:

$$R_{10}(r)= 2\left(\frac{Z}{r_0}\right)^{3/2}e^{Zr/r_0}$$

and the Probability distribution is $$P(r)=4\pi r^2 |R_{10}|^2$$

At what distance is the most probable radius of the electron?

Homework Equations

see above

The Attempt at a Solution

OK, so I want the spot where P(r) is a maximum. That's where the derivative of P(r) = 0.

so, [itex]\frac{d}{dr}P(r) = \frac{d}{dr}\left[4\pi r^2 \left(2\left(\frac{Z}{r_0}\right)^{3/2}e^{-Zr/r_0}\right)^2\right]=0[/itex]

and doing little algebra and taking a derivative

[itex]\frac{d}{dr}P(r) = \frac{d}{dr}\left[16\pi r^2\left( \frac{Z}{r_0}\right)^3 ( e^{-2Zr/r_0})\right]=0[/itex]
[itex]\frac{d}{dr}P(r) = \left[16\pi r^2\left( \frac{Z}{r_0}\right)^3 (-2\frac{Z}{r_0}e^{-2Zr/r_0})+32\pi r \left( \frac{Z}{r_0}\right)^3e^{-2Zr/r_0}\right]=0[/itex]
[itex]-32\pi \left( \frac{Z}{r_0}\right)^3 \left[r^2(\frac{Z}{r_0}e^{-2Zr/r_0})+ r e^{-2Zr/r_0}\right]=0[/itex]

solve for r:

[itex]\left[r^2(\frac{Z}{r_0}e^{-2Zr/r_0})+ r e^{-2Zr/r_0}\right]=0[/itex]
[itex]r^2(\frac{Z}{r_0}e^{-2Zr/r_0})=- r e^{-2Zr/r_0}[/itex]
[itex]r^2(\frac{Z}{r_0})=- r [/itex]
[itex]r=- (\frac{r_0}{Z}) [/itex]

My problem is that this seems wrong. I would not expect the radius to get smaller as Z rises. Now, I realize this is for a Hydrogen-like atom and hat does not describe real atoms, and at Z=1 the result is the Bohr radius which is fine, but I want to make sure I am not missing something or making a basic mathematical error. If the idea is to find that the Bohr model doesn't work for anything with Z> 1 that's also fine -- I just wanted to be sure that was what I was seeing.

anyhow, if I did this right -- or wrong -- I'd love to know.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, Emspak.

You made a sign error when factoring out the constants just before "solve for r". Note that you are getting a negative value for r, which can't be right.

It is natural that the most probable r will decrease as Z increases. The attraction of the electron to the nucleus increases as Z increases, thus the probability distribution is "pulled in". The wave function is proportional to ##e^{-Zr/r_0}##. Think about how the graph of this function changes as Z increases.

Likes 1 person
Thanks a lot- I saw the sign error and it was one of those cases where I wasn't believing the right answer because I kept thinking that since the nucleus of an atom (Bohr like or not) is getting bigger, the Bohr radius would have to go up with it. Bu then I realized that the space the actual nucleus takes up relative to the Bohr radius is tiny.

Yes, sounds good.

Your calculations and approach seem correct. The result of r = -(r0/Z) does seem counterintuitive, as you mentioned, since it implies that the most probable radius decreases as Z increases. However, this is a consequence of using the simplified Hydrogen-like atom model, which does not take into account the effects of electron-electron interactions. In reality, as Z increases, the electron-electron repulsion increases and the electron is more likely to be found at larger distances from the nucleus. This is why the Bohr model breaks down for atoms with Z > 1.

It is important to note that the wavefunction and probability distribution given in the homework statement are for the ground state of a Hydrogen-like atom, which means that the electron is in its lowest energy state and is not affected by electron-electron interactions. In this case, the most probable radius does indeed decrease as Z increases. However, for excited states, the electron-electron interactions become important and the most probable radius increases with Z. This is a more accurate description of atoms with Z > 1.

Overall, your calculations and conclusions are correct and demonstrate the limitations of the simplified Hydrogen-like atom model.

1. How is the probability distribution of an electron different from Bohr's model of the atom?

The probability distribution of an electron describes the likelihood of finding an electron in a specific location around an atom's nucleus. Bohr's model of the atom, on the other hand, describes the electron's orbit around the nucleus in specific energy levels. The probability distribution is a more accurate representation of the electron's position, as it takes into account the electron's wave-like behavior.

2. What is the significance of the probability distribution in understanding the behavior of electrons?

The probability distribution of an electron is crucial in understanding the behavior of electrons because it allows us to predict where the electron is most likely to be found. This information is essential in many scientific fields, such as chemistry and physics, as it helps us understand how electrons interact with other particles and how they contribute to the properties of matter.

3. Can the probability distribution of an electron change over time?

Yes, the probability distribution of an electron can change over time. This change is due to the electron's wave-like behavior, which means it can exist in multiple locations simultaneously. As the electron moves, the probability distribution changes to reflect its new position and likelihood of being found in different areas around the nucleus.

4. How does the probability distribution of an electron compare to the Bohr model in terms of accuracy?

The probability distribution of an electron is more accurate than the Bohr model because it takes into account the electron's wave-like behavior and accounts for its position in a three-dimensional space. The Bohr model is a simplified representation that does not accurately describe the electron's behavior in the atom.

5. Can the probability distribution of an electron be observed experimentally?

No, the probability distribution of an electron cannot be observed directly. It is a mathematical concept that describes the likelihood of finding an electron in a specific location. However, scientists can indirectly observe the probability distribution through experiments and measurements, such as the double-slit experiment, which demonstrates the wave-like behavior of electrons.