1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability distribution of an electron - comparing to Bohr

1. May 9, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The ground sate of a Hydrogen-like atom is given by the wavefunction:

$$R_{10}(r)= 2\left(\frac{Z}{r_0}\right)^{3/2}e^{Zr/r_0}$$

and the Probability distribution is $$P(r)=4\pi r^2 |R_{10}|^2$$

At what distance is the most probable radius of the electron?

2. Relevant equations

see above

3. The attempt at a solution

OK, so I want the spot where P(r) is a maximum. That's where the derivative of P(r) = 0.

so, [itex]\frac{d}{dr}P(r) = \frac{d}{dr}\left[4\pi r^2 \left(2\left(\frac{Z}{r_0}\right)^{3/2}e^{-Zr/r_0}\right)^2\right]=0[/itex]

and doing little algebra and taking a derivative

[itex]\frac{d}{dr}P(r) = \frac{d}{dr}\left[16\pi r^2\left( \frac{Z}{r_0}\right)^3 ( e^{-2Zr/r_0})\right]=0[/itex]
    [itex]\frac{d}{dr}P(r) = \left[16\pi r^2\left( \frac{Z}{r_0}\right)^3 (-2\frac{Z}{r_0}e^{-2Zr/r_0})+32\pi r \left( \frac{Z}{r_0}\right)^3e^{-2Zr/r_0}\right]=0[/itex]
    [itex]-32\pi \left( \frac{Z}{r_0}\right)^3 \left[r^2(\frac{Z}{r_0}e^{-2Zr/r_0})+ r e^{-2Zr/r_0}\right]=0[/itex]

solve for r:

[itex]\left[r^2(\frac{Z}{r_0}e^{-2Zr/r_0})+ r e^{-2Zr/r_0}\right]=0[/itex]
    [itex]r^2(\frac{Z}{r_0}e^{-2Zr/r_0})=- r e^{-2Zr/r_0}[/itex]
    [itex]r^2(\frac{Z}{r_0})=- r [/itex]
    [itex]r=- (\frac{r_0}{Z}) [/itex]

My problem is that this seems wrong. I would not expect the radius to get smaller as Z rises. Now, I realize this is for a Hydrogen-like atom and hat does not describe real atoms, and at Z=1 the result is the Bohr radius which is fine, but I want to make sure I am not missing something or making a basic mathematical error. If the idea is to find that the Bohr model doesn't work for anything with Z> 1 that's also fine -- I just wanted to be sure that was what I was seeing.

anyhow, if I did this right -- or wrong -- I'd love to know.

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2014 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello, Emspak.

You made a sign error when factoring out the constants just before "solve for r". Note that you are getting a negative value for r, which can't be right.

It is natural that the most probable r will decrease as Z increases. The attraction of the electron to the nucleus increases as Z increases, thus the probability distribution is "pulled in". The wave function is proportional to ##e^{-Zr/r_0}##. Think about how the graph of this function changes as Z increases.

4. May 9, 2014 #3
    Thanks a lot- I saw the sign error and it was one of those cases where I wasn't believing the right answer because I kept thinking that since the nucleus of an atom (Bohr like or not) is getting bigger, the Bohr radius would have to go up with it. Bu then I realized that the space the actual nucleus takes up relative to the Bohr radius is tiny.

5. May 9, 2014 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, sounds good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted