Probability functions in a unit circle

In summary, we are tasked with finding the density and cumulative functions of Y, which represents the distance between a randomly chosen point on the unit axis and the point where a perpendicular line intersects the unit circle. We can approach this problem using basic trigonometry, but it may be easier to work directly in Cartesian coordinates. The probability of Y taking on any particular value is actually zero, but we can talk about the probability of Y being within a certain interval. Using the Pythagorean Theorem, we can find the cumulative distribution function to be P[Y < y] = 1 - \sqrt{1 - y^2} and the density function to be f(y) = \frac{y}{\sqrt{1 - y^
atrus_ovis

Homework Statement

Choose a point in the unit axis, say x.Let Y be the distance of that point and the point where thε perpendicular line crosses the unit circle.
Find the density and cumulative functions of Y.

Homework Equations

Basic trigonometry i guess.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really have much of a clue.
Y equals r sin(θ) = sin(θ) , since the radius of the unit circle is 1.
I get the feeling that the curve of f(Y) will kind of resemble a normal distribution, since most values of sin(y) are closer to 1 and drop quicker as x approches +1 or -1.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the unit axis? Does this mean "pick a point uniformly at random on [0,1]" ?

I'm not sure exactly what [itex]\theta[/itex] you are using here, but it is true that doing something with [itex]\sin \theta[/itex] for a properly defined [itex]\theta[/itex] could lead you to the right answer.

But maybe it's easier to just work directly in Cartesian coordinates, simply because you are picking a Cartesian coordinate directly with uniform probability, and so you might have some mild unpleasantness in converting the problem to polar coordinates.

Suppose you pick x. Draw the triangle and figure out what the value of y is. Then maybe you can write down the density function, or an integral expression for the cumulative distribution function. Don't worry about trig functions just yet; everything here is algebraic.

It's too late for the homework now, but i'd like to know the solution.

The values of Y are found-able.I couldn't though find a mapping to a probability.
How do you get from a set of (infinite) Y values to a probability of each?

After sniffing around in wiki (yeah i suck that bad in probability theory), i found about the uniform distribution, where each event is equally likely,which i think fits this problem.

Here's what happens. The probability that Y takes on any particular value is actually zero, because the probability that X takes on any particular value is zero. What we can talk about is the probability that Y takes on a value in an interval.

So, for example, what is the probability that Y is on [0,1] in your problem? Clearly it's 1 because no matter what X is, Y will be on that interval. Now suppose we look at [itex] x=\frac{1}{2} [/itex]. If [itex] x=\frac{1}{2} [/itex], then what is Y? Well, we can use the Pythagorean Theorem, and see that

[tex] y=\sqrt{1^2 - \left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^2} = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} [/tex].

Now it's pretty easy to see that if x is greater than [itex] \frac{1}{2} [/itex], then y is smaller than this, so we know that the probability that [itex] Y < \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} [/itex] is the same as the probability that [itex] x > \frac{1}{2} [/itex], which is [itex] \frac{1}{2} [/itex]. More generally, if we want to know the likelihood that Y is less than some particular value [itex]y_0[/itex], we have that this happens as long as
[tex] x > \sqrt{1-y_0^2} [/itex], which happens with probability 1 - that. So we have the following cumulative distribution function:

[tex] P[Y < y] = 1 - \sqrt{1 - y^2} [/tex]

And the density function is just the derivative of that, which is:

[tex] f(y) = \frac{y}{\sqrt{1 - y^2}} [/tex]

1. What is a probability function in a unit circle?

A probability function in a unit circle is a mathematical function that assigns a probability value to each point on the unit circle. It is used to model random events that occur within the unit circle, such as the probability of a particle landing at a specific point on the circle when thrown randomly.

2. How is a probability function represented in a unit circle?

A probability function in a unit circle is typically represented by a graph, where the x-axis represents the points on the unit circle and the y-axis represents the probability values assigned to each point. The graph may take the form of a continuous curve or a series of discrete points.

3. What is the total probability of all points in a unit circle?

The total probability of all points in a unit circle is equal to 1. This means that the sum of all probability values assigned to each point on the unit circle must add up to 1, as the unit circle represents the entire sample space of possible outcomes.

4. How are probability functions used in real-world applications?

Probability functions in a unit circle are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in physics, biology, and finance. They are used to model and predict the likelihood of certain events occurring within a given area or space, and can help inform decision-making and risk assessment.

5. Can probability functions in a unit circle be used for non-circular shapes?

Yes, probability functions can be applied to any shape or space, not just a circle. However, the unit circle is commonly used as it simplifies the calculations and makes it easier to visualize the probabilities assigned to each point.