1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability homework problem

1. Apr 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Bobo, Coco, and 8 other students are arranged to sit in 2 rows of 5 students. If these 10 students take their seat randomly, find the probability that Bobo and Coco are sitting in the same row but not next to each other.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Bobo and Coco together have 12 ways to sit, they 2 can exchange, other 8 students sit randomly.
    Probability = [itex]\frac{12×2×8!}{10!}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{4}{15}[/itex]

Is this correct? Thank you!!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: Probability

Correct answer to what question? Where did you include the "sitting in the same row"? Or "not next to each other?

4. Apr 23, 2012 #3

I mean, say the seats are arranged like this:
    1 2 3 4 5
    6 7 8 9 10

Bobo and Coco sitting in the same row but not next to each other, they can take:
    totally 12 ways.

The above arrangement can be for Bobo|Coco or Coco|Bobo, so times 2.

Is my answer correct? Thanks again.

5. Apr 23, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that is correct- here is how I would have done it- a different way to get the same answer:
    Coco can sit anywhere in a given row. Then Bobo must sit in the same row but not next to Coco.
    There is a slight complication here- If Coco is sitting in an end seat there are 3 seats where Bobo can sit. But if Coco is sitting in any other seat, there are only 2 seats where Coco can sit. That is the number possible ways for both Bobo and Coco to sit are 2*3+ 3*2= 12. Since there are 2 rows there are 2*12= 24 ways Bobo and Coco can sit in the two rows.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook